Monday, June 4, 2012

Oh, I see, you weren't just being bratty, you were teaching a lesson

The school year is drawing to an end, and with each passing day, I lose a little more of whatever sanity I had left. State testing, final projects, open house, band concerts and choir shows, after school programs that end and leave me scrambling for childcare--it's all completely exhausted me.

And on top of all that, Mark chose this month to assert his impending teenage-hood. He continues to mouth off to every statement I make, responding when clearly no response is expected ("Make your bed--it's not a political debate"), and arguing when there is no argument to be made ("I just asked if you were done eating--I don't need a dissertation of the migration patterns of Pacific salmon").

We've finally reached a fragile détente--and by that, I mean Mark's finally worn me down so much I've given up. At this point, I figure it's a win just to get him out of the house within 15 minutes of band practice starting each morning, and if he has a lunch in hand, all the better. I don't even care what's in the lunch anymore. And if he manages to brush his teeth before running out the door--well, that's just icing on the cake. (Hey, I still have all my teeth--hopefully, he will, too.)

But this morning was awesome. Despite a slow wake-up, Mark got everything done. By the time I was out of the shower, he'd eaten, was dressed, his room was clean, and he had a lunch. And he was on time!

"Great job today, buddy!" I told him on the way to school. We were in the driveway, waiting for a break in traffic. "High five!"

Mark high-fived me, and I returned my attention to the busy street.

"You didn't high five me back," Mark said.

Without taking my eye off the road, I reached backwards, awkwardly facing my hand toward him. He high-fived three of my fingers.

I gunned it into the street. "That was kind of a challenge," I told him.

"I like to give you lots of challenges," Mark answered.

I chuckled and said, "That's true, you are a challenge every day."

"I'm building up your stamina," he said.

And at that, I laughed out loud. Because, honestly, leave it to Mark to present it like that. He doesn't mean to be bratty--he's just doing it for my own good, to build up my tolerance. I shouldn't be disciplining him, I should really be thanking him instead.

I guess you really do learn something new every day...

No comments: