Monday, September 24, 2012

Quite an Endeavour

We had a visitor arriving on Friday, and the whole town was abuzz. The visitor was arriving as many often do, via plane. The difference was this guest rode on the OUTSIDE of the plane, was huge, and while traveling a far distance, this was not as long as its last trip--up to space.

That's right, the space shuttle Endeavour came to Los Angeles, its final resting place, and I was there. (Along with half the city!)

We'd been anticipating the shuttle's arrival all week. By Friday, the town was in a frenzy, and it was all you heard about on the local news. Maps and possible flight paths highlighted each segment. I had a live feed running on my computer, tracking the shuttle's flight around San Francisco and Sacramento.

Finally, around noon, it hit L.A.'s airspace. I could stand it no more--as the crowds on the Santa Monica Pier cheered, I hopped into my car and sped north. The shuttle was coming my way, and I wasn't going to miss it!

Up the 405 I zoomed. The shuttle was headed for Disneyland, and would then bank west toward the beach. It would fly up the coast toward Long Beach, circling the Queen Mary. I knew the Queen Mary would be crowded, so I set my sights a little south, toward Seal Beach.

Exiting at Seal Beach boulevard, I passed the Boeing company, where people filled the street. I took that as a good sign, that the shuttle hadn't passed by yet.

I bypassed the Seal Beach pier, knowing that would also be crowded, and offered little parking. I made my way to the very end of the beach, to a little restaurant called the River's End. It's along the marina, where Seal Beach stops and Long Beach starts.

There was one lone parking space on the street, and I grabbed it. I popped out of the car and raced down to the beach. The beach was crowded, filled with people gazing expectantly into the air. I'd only been there a couple minutes, and I was thinking, "Man, I should've brought my lunch down here!" I thought about walking back to the car to get it when the man beside me yelled, "There it is!"

The whole beach turned in the direction he was pointing. "Where?" shouted half the crowd, and suddenly, I saw it.

A jet, a HUGE, low-flying plane was coming over the top of the palm trees. There were two fighter jets on either side of it, and they were all coming fast. So fast, I almost didn't get any pictures! I hadn't planned to be here, so my good camera was at home. I tried aiming my camera phone at the sky, but all it saw was sky, and it wouldn't focus. I finally stopped fussing with the camera and LOOK. Just as I looked up, the plane flew directly over me, flashing its massive white belly. It was low, lower than any other plane I've ever been under, about 1500 feet. It roared by me, and all I could think was "Whoa!"

Since I was right under the plane, I couldn't see the piggybacked space shuttle at all. But it turned west toward the Queen Mary, and as it turned, I got a great view of the shuttle atop the plane. It was AWESOME!!



Here's a great shot someone took in Long Beach:




The whole thing lasted about three minutes. I was just in awe--a freakin' SPACE SHUTTLE had just flown by me! And not just any shuttle, the Endeavour, the last shuttle that went up to space. I was really sad to realize this meant the end of the space shuttle program, but wow, at the same time, I just felt, What a rush! I was bummed I didn't get any good photos of it, but was grateful I'd been present enough to put down the camera and just watch it. I may not have committed a good image to film, but I captured an amazing memory that will last me a lifetime.

I watched as the planes grew smaller and smaller, eventually trailing off toward the Queen Mary, and out of sight. I headed back to my car, and was back at work just before my lunch hour ended.

And boy, was that a lunch hour I'll never forget!

No comments: