Thursday, October 30, 2014

Hey Mark, just shake it off


I have a two-hour daily commute, so I hear a LOT of songs on the radio. All of them, in fact, which means I can sing any current song, because I hear. them. all

The only problem is the words. I know all the songs, and none of the words. This is not a new phenomena--I've been that way since I was a kid, confidently belting out the wrong words. I don't let a little thing like, oh, not knowing the lyrics, slow down my music appreciation.

Mark is the exact opposite. He knows all the songs and all the words, and loves to throw that in my face. He loves to mock me, repeating the phrases "Mom, that's not how the song goes..." or "Mom, that's not what they're saying" fifty times a day. It bothers him waaaaay more than it bothers me.

But Mr. Know-It-All apparently doesn't. 

Taylor Swift's song "Shake It Off" came on the car radio the other day, and Mark sang along in a silly, girly voice. He was being funny, and making me laugh, especially when he started mashing his hands together like he was kneading dough.

"And bakers gonna bake, bake, bake, bake, bake..." he sang, continuing his fancy patty-cake moves.

I couldn't stop laughing.

"That's not what she's saying!" I said, for the first time EVER.

He just rolled his eyes and sang louder. He knew I was the last person alive who could declare a song's lyrics right or wrong.

"That is what she's singing," he huffed, swiping my smartphone from the center console to prove me wrong. He searched for the lyrics, and I could see him mouthing the words in my peripheral vision.

We stopped at a red light, and I turned to look at him. He turned a tiny shade of red.

"Well, that's what it sounds like she's saying," he argued. 

I didn't answer. I just smiled at him and started wringing my own hands together.

"Bakers gonna bake, bake, bake, bake, bake!" I sang, laughing, until Mark smacked me.

"That's what it sounds like!" Mark insisted, but he was kind of laughing, too. Because like me, he recognizes when an embarrassing moment really is too good to waste on something as dumb as pride or being right. We just turned up the song and sang about bakers as loud as we could.

(For the record, the real line is "Heart-breakers gonna break, break, break, break, break"...which is nowhere near as funny as bakers who are gonna bake, bake, bake, bake, bake!)


No comments: