Thursday, November 20, 2014

No comprendo

And sometimes our conversations go like this...


Mark, while doing his homework: This is a weird book...it only has Mexican names in it.

Me: What are you studying?

Mark: Spanish.

Me, after a brief pause: Seriously? You're surprised a Spanish book has all Mexican names in it? 

Mark: Yeah, that's weird, isn't it?

Me: Not really.

Mark: I think it's weird. 

Me: I can tell. What names should be in there?

Mark: Good names, like Mark.

Me: I bet there are a few Marcos in there.

Mark: Yeah, but my name isn't Marcos.

Me: It is in Spanish.

Mark: But we're not in Spain.

And that is when I lost the conversation. Or won it, I suppose. I'm not sure, really, because Mark just confused me into silence, which was probably the whole point. 

Either way, I'm just waiting for him to start his math homework now, and to hear his indignation when he realizes it's full of math problems.



No comments: