Thursday, December 11, 2014

How do you say "ironic" in Spanish?

My Mark is not known for his work ethic. He'll spend 45 minutes scheming to get out of 10 minutes of chores, and he can't understand why that drives me crazy. 

He's equally lazy when whether the work is mental or physical. For a long time, I thought "Just tell me" was an endearing nickname he'd given me, because he repeats it so often during homework time.

"Mom, how do you spell 'Christmas'?" he'll yell, and then groan when I answer, "Sound it out."

"Just tell me!" he'll say, exasperated, and then he'll say, "Fine, 'C-r-i-s-m-u-s-s,'" knowing full well that bad spelling is my pet peeve. As much as it pains me, I don't give in, because I want him to learn. (Ha, joke's on me, he'll never learn!)

So when I told him to do his Spanish homework last weekend, he resisted. He waited until the very last minute on Sunday night before he finally started it.

And I knew, as he sat before the computer doing the work, inevitably, he'd ask for the answers.

"Mom, what does 'perry-so-so' mean?" he asked, two minutes into it.

"Look it up," I answered, at the same exact moment he was saying, "I DID! I CANT FIND IT!"

"Sound it out," I said next. "Pre-ci-oso. What does that sound like?"

"Um, precious?" he asked.

"Yup," I answered. (I'm not 100% sure that's accurate, but my little old Mexican aunt always called me preciosa, so I'm going with precious.)

Then Mark frowned. "It's actually perezoso," he said. "What does--" He stopped, knowing my answer, and grumbled instead, "Why do I have to look it up? Why can't you just tell me? Geez!"

And then, I heard him laugh.

"It means 'lazy'" he said, pointing at his book. "Perezoso means lazy!"

"Now that is funny," I answered. "Since you were so lazy about finding the definition."

Mark continued his work, translating sentences about people and then picking the word that best described them based on their behavior. 

"Miguel le gusta el deporte, pero no hablar por teléfono o jugando juegos de video. ¿Cómo es él?" Mark read, then correctly translated it. "Miguel likes sports, but does not like to talk on the phone or play video games. What is he?"

He stopped, looked at me and said, "What! Who doesn't like videogames?? Or talking on the phone? Miguel's a weirdo!" 

Mark shook his head, but then selected the correct description, Él es deportista. "Miguel is a sports guy," he told me, then said, "OK, I'm done."

"You're not done," I said, redirecting him back to his chair. "Keep going."

Mark clicked on to the next question. He read it out loud, sending us both into a fit of laughter, because it said this:



"Mark doesn't like to work," I laughed.

It was hilarious, and so very fitting. Of all the Spanish names they could've used, they picked Mark, and boy, were they right. My little Marcos spent 20 minutes begging me to just tell him the definition of perezoso, and why? BECAUSE MARK DOESN'T LIKE TO WORK. MARK IS LAZY.

Some moments are teachable moments, and some--like this one--are both teachable and awesome

Just ask Marcos. 



No comments: