Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Call 911, I'm on fire!

We were sitting around, watching the Olympics, when Kim made her casual announcement. "Oh, tonight is dinner at the firehouse," she said. I immediately perked up.

"Dinner where? Details, please!" I tried to sound as casual as she did, but it didn't work. First I sent my son to camp for a week, and now I would dine with firemen? This was quickly becoming one of my best trips to their house EVER!

Turns out they'd won the dinner in a silent auction, and I got to join the lucky winners.

So off we went, to Fire Engine 1. We were greeted by a very nice fireman, who led us around the garage and showed off their big, new, shiny fire engine. It was pretty cool.

Next, he led us into the kitchen/dining area, where we met a couple of captains and some other firemen cooking up a storm. It was like a dream come true--cute men who saved lives by day, and cooked at night! Plus they are gone for 24 hours at a time, three times a week--sounds perfect to me. (And guys wonder why we love firemen so much!)

Suddenly, a dispatcher's voice interrupted our tour, and everyone strained to hear. There was an electrical fire, and Engine 1 was needed.

Our guide lead us to the garage, where we filed along the wall, out of the way. Seconds later, the firemen came running out from all directions, grabbing up boots and pants and pulling them on. They jumped into the two fire engines, and sped out of the garage, sirens blaring, lights blazing. Seeing that shiny new fire engine turn sharply out of the garage was even cooler than seeing it just sitting there.

We were all amped up from the excitement. We barraged our nice fireman/tour guide with questions. He told us all about the fire protection clothing they wore, and the gear they used. It was really interesting until I spotted something--yes, it's true--something shiny.

"Hey, it's the pole! Do you guys still slide down that when you go on calls?" I asked.

The fireman laughed and said, yes, some people still use it. However, it was created back when they put on their gear upstairs and slid down fully clothed. But now, most firefighters just wear shorts and gear up downstairs, avoiding the pole and the friction burns it gives to less-than-fully-clothed firemen.

It was on to the gym, and the T.V. room. We passed another pole, and Hannah said, "Look, it's raining firemen!"

"That's my DREAM," I told her, imagining firemen falling from the skies.

And then the dream ended...I had to go to the airport for my flight home. ("If I known we were dining at the firehouse, I would have changed my flight!" I told Kim.) I was bummed to miss riding in the fire engine, and dining with the crew.

Oh well, it was still a dream come true, even if it was a short dream.


No comments: