Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mama got a girls' night out


That's right, and I dragged my sister-in-law Mari along for the ride. We attended our friend Laura Roppé's CD release party at the Belly Up Tavern last night, and it was a blast! (The pic is from her CD cover.)

We ran into all the Roppé's, including Lynn Roppé (Brad and Brian's mom), who I haven't seen in probably 20 years. She immediately told Mari a story about how young Brian came home once with a bald patch on his head, and reported that it came from me pulling his hair out. His mother was horrified until Brian told her, "It's okay, I got her back--she has a bald patch, too." Mari looked at me, but I just shrugged. "Sounds about right," I said. We weren't exactly the sweetest children growing up.

Then I saw Brian, who couldn't wait to show me pictures from his latest adventure. "I went to a party at the Playboy Mansion," he told me proudly, and flipped through his phone to show me pictures. "Here's the front of the Mansion--recognize that?"

I just stared at him. "Um, no," I answered. "Because I'm a GIRL!" (Hey, I may not recognize the Playboy Mansion, but ask me who was on the last five covers of People magazine--that I know.)

The place was packed with Laura's friends and family. Big Brad was pacing around, and when I asked if he was excited for his wife, he answered, "I'm really nervous!" He had no reason to be--when Laura came onstage, the crowd cheered wildly and the party started.

She was AWESOME! Gorgeous, confident, and having a great time...it was literally her moment in the spotlight, and she reveled in it. She sounded fantastic, singing her original songs. (I listened to the CD today, and it's SOOOO good! Go to
http://www.lauraroppe.com/ to listen to or buy her new CD, Girl Like This.)

It was so much fun. Mari and I danced and whooped it up, bringing Laura's song "Mama Needs a Girls' Night Out" to life. We were still high from the music and laughing as we drove home, when suddenly, some guy ran into the otherwise deserted road. I missed him, but only because he moved quickly. Mari couldn't believe it--she rolled down her window to let him have it.

"That was not a good choice you made!" she yelled as we zipped by, and I started laughing, thinking of how many times a day she says that to her kids.

Even on our girls' night out, we couldn't stop being Mamas.

No comments: