Wednesday, April 1, 2009

This is why 9-year-olds aren't doctors

Mark came home from school the other night with a huge headache. That's usually a symptom of high blood sugar, but he tested in range. Turns out it was just an ordinary headache.

I gave him a children's aspirin and some dinner. He held his head throughout dinner, and I tried my best to soothe him.

"It'll feel better soon," I assured him. "Give the aspirin some time to kick in."

He moaned. It clearly wasn't working yet.

I tried to distract him. "You want some lettuce for your tacos?" I offered. He nodded.

"How about cheese?"

This time he shook his head.

"You don't want cheese?" I asked. I felt like that woman on the old coffee commercials. "But you always love cheese on your tacos!"

"No thanks," he said. "My head hurts too much. I just don't think cheese and headaches are a good combination."

"Um, OK," I said, because really, I couldn't think of what else to say to that. I know some things -- like drum practice -- are not conducive to headaches, but I've never heard of cheese further aggravating one.

Live and learn, I guess. And be grateful they don't give out medical licenses to third-graders.

No comments: