Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Pele' ain't got nothin' on this kid

Saturday was Mark's first official soccer game, and boy was it a good one! I wasn't sure how the boys would do during a real game. All their goofing around and smack-talk during practices had me worried.

I mean, Mark was goalie at the last practice, and when I looked over at him, he was wearing his scrimmage jersey around his neck like a cape, pretending to be a superhero. (I told him, "Why don't you pretend to be a goalie instead?") So I was a little apprehensive about how they'd do in a live game against another team.

Turns out my worries were unfounded. They played great, running all over the field, scoring lots of goals, and having a great time.

Mark was even into it. He still didn't want to get too close to the mob, but he did get the ball a few times, and even made this awesome attempt at a goal.



I'd like to say he kicked with all his might for the team, but the truth is, my cousin and I promised him ice cream if he makes a goal. (Hey, it's motivation, not a bribe!)

But the funniest part was when Mark engaged in a little housekeeping. There was a big hole on the field, which the referees had marked off with orange cones so no one tripped in it. With all the boys running on the field, some of the cones got upended, but no one took any notice.

Except for Mark, that is. As the mob of boys chased the ball upfield, Mark followed them -- but stopped mid-run to correct the cones. He placed them back in place, then continued running upfield with the other kids. It was hilarious.

Mark's team won easily, and the team got a good start on their pizza party money. (The parents contribute quarters in a coffee can every time our team scores.) And best of all, Mark didn't go low and have to sit out the game.

Can't wait for next week...

No comments: