Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Nod to the Specials--this town IS coming like a ghost town


This weekend was the annual Boy Scouts camping trip to Calico. I was a little apprehensive, because a) it's a ghost town, and b) did I mention it's a ghost town? I'm all for camping, but ghosts I can do without.

My car is too little to fit all the camping gear we needed, so I borrowed my brother Smed's car and stuffed it to the top. I drove up with my friend Liz, and her son Sean, plus Mark.

If you've never driven two plus hours in traffic with a couple of squirrelly boys, then man, you are missing out. Liz and I listened as they freaked out that we were driving in circles ("I swear, I JUST saw that bridge! I JUST saw that car!"), then as they sang along with the radio about how they were sexy, and they know it (Mark stopped singing when I explained that "sexy" meant girls want to kiss him). When the radio cut out, we were treated to a 20-minute rendition of the song that never ends ("This is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because...This is the song that never ends..." repeated on an endless loop). The song eventually DID end, and was replaced with 99 bottles of beer on the wall. Liz and I managed to tune them out and they gave up at 80 bottles.

After a quick stop for dinner, we drove on into the desert. It was pitch black out there without any lights, and it felt late. Mark worried if anyone would still be awake by the time we got there. I looked at the clock and laughed.

"They will be," I said. "It's only 7:15!"

Just when I thought the squirrelly boys could take no more, we arrived in Calico. The campground was packed! Each space was overflowing with tents and trailers, but also with Halloween decorations. It's a tradition for the two weekends before Halloween, and these campers took it very seriously.

We parked the car, and turned the boys loose. I think that was the last time we saw them for more than 2 minutes for the next two days.

Some Scouts had arrived early and set up all the boys' tents, but we still had to set up our camp. Liz and I put up the tent, filled the air mattress, and settled in by the fire with the Barnetts and the Kochs. I stared up at the sky and marvelled at all the stars we could see--I'm sure they shine over L.A. as well, but you can never see them with all the light pollution.

The boys dumped their bags and headed into town as soon as we got there. They stopped at our site first, palms out, pleading for money to buy rubber-band guns and sarsaparilla. It was so much fun to just turn them loose, and let them have the run of the campground, without worrying about them. As a kid, that was the best part of summer, being turned loose on our own. I was glad Mark got the chance to experience that as well.

When our camp went to bed, the boys had returned from town and it was quiet. But one of the Scout leaders arrived shortly after, calling out for help unpacking the supplies from his truck. This got the Scouts all riled up again, and as I drifted off to sleep, I could hear laughing and shouting from the boys' camp five sites away.

I headed up to camp at first light to check on Mark and give him his meds. I knew better than to look for him among the boys already climbing the hills or sitting by the fire. Instead, I headed straight to his tent, where he was indeed, the only Scout left still sleeping.

The Barnetts made a great breakfast--somehow hot food always tastes better when you're outdoors. It was hot already by 8:30, and I could tell it was gonna be a scorcher.

By the time the boys ate breakfast and cleaned up, it was mid-morning and time to hike. I handed over Mark's emergency supplies to the troop leader, who asked, "Aren't you coming with us?" He obviously does not know me well; it was already 90 degrees, and I couldn't see a tree for miles. All I saw was hot, barren desert, tall red cliffs and quails. And in my mind's eye, all I saw was me, the delicate flower, melting in the heat.

But hooray for Liz, Karen and Kimmi! Those are some serious hiking moms. They joined the Scouts and headed out for a three-hour hike with the boys. They have my utmost respect!

I stayed back with one of the dads, and I must admit, we did a pretty good job of holding down the fort. We sat in the shade and watched chipmunks, birds, quail and even a little lizard descend onto camp. Nary a critter walked away with anything from the camp site.

Liz and I were in charge of lunch. We were having tacos, so we heated up the rice, meat and tortillas, and set up all the accompanying goodies to go with them. It was awesome, because the Kochs had all the cooking gear we needed in their camper, and a stove to cook it on. Which was great, because we didn't have any space left in our car to have packed that stuff!

Later that afternoon, we strolled into town. I briefly saw the boys, but they disappeared into the haunted maze before I could do more than wave. We moseyed through some haunted houses too, where I was glad to find out were family-friendly during the day (at night, monsters and other creatures jump out to scare you). It was so much fun to hang out with the adults--it was kind of like a little mini-vacation. We knew the boys were safe, and every so often, we saw them. But mostly, we all just hung out with our own friends.

We took a little train ride and learned about Calico's mining town history. 

I'm being followed by a train shadow, a train shadow, train shadow, train shadow.

We strolled down the main street, taking photos with the locals. 

One of these things is not like the others...

We smiled at the cute little kids in their Halloween costumes. We even stopped at the town saloon, which had a sign above the door prohibiting spittin', fightin' or loose women, and had another sign painted on the door that said, "Kids welcome." That's right, the wild west ain't so wild after all. (And for the record, the sarsaparillas were amazing--not sure if it was because it was so hot, or because they were just so creamy, but they went down very easily!)

I saw the boys as we were leaving. Mark was shoving candy into his mouth, but when he saw me, he panicked and reached for his insulin pump. He repeated this whenever I saw him, when he was eating cookies, or other junk food. I'd already written the weekend off diabetes-wise, but it was good to know that seeing me triggered Mark to do the right thing.

Our last stop in town was at the cemetery, where some local folks in old-fashioned clothes told us the history of the townspeople. We all thought that was a really cool tour--one guy was so deep in his character, I really believed he was talking about his own kids, and I just wanted to hug him.


Dinner was by the fire at the Beck's camp a few spaces down. Trick or treaters hit us up during dinner by the fire.

Then it was back to town for the evening festivities. Some of the group went into the haunted maze, but I don't like being scared, and I wasn't alone. Half of us waited at the end of the haunted maze, trying to dodge the big tall monster, or the chainsaw-wielding scary guy who kept following us through town. (He could tell Karen didn't like him.)

But the best part of the night was the Monster Mash. All the costumed kids gathered in the middle of Main street, which transformed into a ghostly dance floor. It was so much fun! The kids let loose, and we adults were right there with them, dancing in the streets with the giant white-haired monster. 

The giant monster was much scarier at night!

One bloodied cowboy with exposed entrails approached me, but I said he didn't have the guts to ask me out. (I know, the jokes are bad!) Liz and I hadn't seen Mark or Sean for hours. When the Party Rocker song came on, and we still didn't see them, I knew they had to be back at camp. There was no way that song would play without those two boys center stage (if they were there)!

I was exhausted that night, and slept like a log. The long hike wore out the boys, too, because when we went to check on the boys, Sean and Jonah were already asleep in their tent! Mark, however, was making the most of his freedom, wolfing down s'mores and cherry cobbler. Which was strangely comforting to me--I knew with that much sugar in him, it was almost impossible for him to go low that night!

Good thing we all went to bed early, because we all woke up early, too. We must have been in the most industrious row of campers, because they were hard at work as the sun came up, breaking down their camps. My tent was so comfy, I did not want to get up, but eventually I did, lured by the smell of bacon and french toast.

Liz and I packed up our stuff and crammed it back into the car. Mark and Sean came down with their stuff, still wearing the same clothes as Friday, but with their wrinkled Boy Scout uniform shirts over them. They both looked exhausted, and were pretty cranky. Mark was grumbling that Sean and company had collapsed the tent on him, but I found out later it was payback because Mark had kept them up till 3 a.m., giggling and talking.

When camp was finally all packed up, we took the boys a few miles down the road to a dry lake bed to shoot off rockets. I wasn't expecting much, but I was surprised at how high those bad boys shot up into the air. I felt like one of the boys, gasping and yelling, "YEAH!!" when the first few took flight.

I couldn't believe how high up those rockets soared!

Some rockets were bigger--MUCH bigger--than others.


In addition to being overly tired, Mark and Sean hadn't eaten much breakfast. So we finally put them back in the car, and drove off in search of lunch. We bought them a round of Shirley Temples and burgers, which they mostly ignored in favor of the sugary sodas. But whatever--might as well end the party weekend with a bang.

So our first Calico weekend was a rousing success. Mark and Sean had a blast running wild with the Scouts, and we parents had fun hanging out together as well. It took a lot of scrubbing to recognize Mark again, but under all that dirt was one happy, tired boy.

"We have to go camping more often," he yawned, when I put him to bed that night. And I assured him we would, most definitely.

No comments: