Friday, January 27, 2012

Beer snob

While watching my 5-year-old nephew Johnny last night, I remembered I had to send off a quick email. Johnny stood beside me and watched me type.

He instantly recognized a word he saw onscreen.

"No," he said, then spelled it out. "N. O. No."

I smiled at him. "Good job, Johnny! Do you know any other words?"

He just shrugged. I pointed to another word and asked if he could read it.

He couldn't, but he spelled out each letter: "H. E. A. T. H. E. R."

"That's right!" I told him. "Do you know what that spells?"

He looked at me expectantly, so I sounded out the first syllable to prod him.

"Heaaaa..." I said.

"...feweisen," he finished. I burst into laughter.

"Did you just say 'hefeweisen'?" I asked.

"No, I said hef-eh-VI-sen," he corrected, using the German pronunciation. Not only does this kid know his beer, he knows the proper way to say it. I laughed out loud again.

"Your dad is going to be so proud of you," I said, and of course, I was right, Smed WAS proud. 

And I was very amused.

No comments: