Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Why 11-year-olds shouldn't have phones

Mark's friends were at the house the other day. As they were leaving for school, Josh's cell phone rang.

"Oooooh, it's from Washington!" Josh said, excitedly. His brother Dan asked, "Why is Washington calling you?"

Josh just answered his phone. He listened to the caller quietly for a moment before speaking. 

"I'm only 11 years old," he said. "I don't think I'm eligible."

But apparently his age did not dissuade the caller. "I probably would," Josh said into the phone, "if I had any money. But I don't. I'm a kid!"

The other boys were listening intently to the conversation. Just as Josh opened his mouth to say something else, Sean screamed at the phone.

"Put your pants back on!" Sean shouted, and the room full of boys erupted into giggles.

It did the trick. The caller quickly hung up on a still-giggling Josh.

"Who was it?" Dan asked.

"I don't know," Josh answered. "He wanted me to give money to the homeless. I told him I probably would, but I'm just a kid. I don't have any money!" 

"Then what did he say?" Dan pressed.

"Nothing," Josh answered, snickering. "Sean scared him!"

I just smiled. I always ignore the phone when I see a toll-free number on the caller ID, but now I realize I've got a better option. From now on, I'm letting Mark answer all the robocalls.

It might not amuse the telemarketers, but it'll sure crack me up.

No comments: