Thursday, February 16, 2012

Um, yeah, you missed the whole point

I was watching House Hunters the other night, which featured a single mom and her young son.

The son reminded me a lot of Mark. Like Mark, he was about 12 years old, with shaggy hair and glasses. He was opinionated, and not afraid to comment on each house; again, that reminded me of Mark.

But the similarities ended there. This kid was a tad smarmy--he had a huge vocabulary, and a healthy sense of entitlement. He wasn't sure exactly what he wanted in a house, but he certainly knew what he didn't want. One bedroom had an en suite bathroom, which Mark would kill for, but the kid deemed the sink too small. The kid was mad there was only one sink ("My current bathroom has a double sink!") but the real deal-breaker was the vanity, which only had cabinets.

"No drawers!" the kid screamed, literally tugging at his hair. "How will I live without drawers? I NEED DRAWERS!!"

("Are you kidding me?" Mark asked when I told him that. He just gasped when I shook my head no.)

"The kid was so obnoxious," I told Mark. "He acted like an adult. But he was glad to see a basketball hoop in a neighboring yard, because, as he said, 'That means people my age live there.'"

Mark just stared at me.

"He didn't say KIDS--he said 'people my age'!" I explained.

Mark just shook his head. "What a weirdo," he said.

I nodded.

"But then the mom started talking, and I could see where the kid got it from," I said. Mark looked at me questioningly.

"She was just as annoying!" I said.

He simply raised his eyebrows, then raised his hands out, and said, "Well, that's to be expected."

Now I was puzzled.

"What does that mean?" I asked--then it hit me. "Wait, it means you're not surprised? Because moms are SUPPOSED to be annoying?"

"Well..." he said, confirming my hunch.

"Moms aren't annoying!" I yelled. He just raised his eyebrows again.

"Not all moms are," I grumbled. "And if they are, it's because their kids drive them to it."

Mark just shrugged; he remained unconvinced.

And maybe I take back that comment about Mark not being smarmy...

No comments: