Friday, February 17, 2012

But panicking is my forté

Somethin' Shiny isn't just the name of this blog--it's a way of life for me. Case in point...

I recently had an optometry appointment. While in the restroom, I noticed something hilarious--a giant pair of glasses. The little angel on my shoulder gently told me not to touch, but the little devil on my other shoulder poked me with a pitchfork and screamed, "PHOTO OP!"

You can clearly see who won.



While I was giggling and taking pics, someone knocked on the door. My smile immediately disappeared, and I realized I must've been in there for awhile if people were knocking.

I ripped off the glasses and placed them precariously back in their giant case. Then I grabbed the bathroom door handle and pushed down on it.

Which immediately sent me into a panic, because...nothing happened. Well, I mean, something happened--the handle jiggled, but didn't open. I'd locked myself in the bathroom!

"OhmyGod, ohmyGod, ohmyGod," I muttered furiously. "You're such an idiot!!" I could just picture my mom standing beside the little angel on my shoulder. They were both shaking their heads like, "We told you NOT to mess around in here!"

Maybe I was just freaking out. "Don't panic," I whispered to myself. I took a deep breath, exhaled, and tried the handle again, slowly.

Still locked.

I could hear someone on the other side of the door, but couldn't make out the words. Maybe they were talking to someone else outside the bathroom.

They weren't. There was a gentle knock, as I tried once again, as quietly as I could, to free myself.

I heard the muffled voice say something else. Suddenly, I heard a click! and the door cautiously swung open. There was the equally embarrassed optometrist, key in hand, apologizing profusely. Apparently, the door has issues, because she showed me a little trick, popping the handle up and then jiggling it just so to unlock it.

Whatever. I silently cursed the big, shiny glasses on the storage cabinet, and my own ADD, which couldn't resist such a silly prop. And then I turned to the optometrist, nodding, and said, "Ooooh!" like I'd been messing with the handle for a long time, and not really playing with the silly giant glasses.

Whatever. All I know is next time I have an optometry appointment, I'm going to the bathroom before I get to my appointment.

And I'll only wear my own glasses...
           

No comments: