Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I can('t) hear you

My son Mark rarely listens to anything I say. I know this because I often find myself in auto mode, repeating things like "Please pick up your floor" 50 times in a row. I swear, some mornings I actually wake up mumbling, "Turn off your alarm" or "What was your number?"  before I've even opened my eyes.

Mark insists this is patently incorrect, and that he does, in fact, not only hear me, but that also he responds with lightning fast speed.

"What!" I exclaimed when he refuted my claims yet again. "You sooooo do NOT listen to me!"

"I do, too," he huffed, and walked away in protest. His indignation was not only misplaced, but hilarious.

And now, after a recent breakfast, I have proof Mark does not listen.

He'd put a bagel in the toaster for breakfast, and was dancing around and singing while he waited for it to cook.

"There's cream cheese in the fridge," I called out to him, helpfully.

"OK," he answered, but he kept on singing.

I heard the toaster pop, and then Mark rooting around in the fridge.

I heard the knife scraping on his bagel, and from the living room, I watched Mark bite into his breakfast.

Which was then immediately followed by Mark spitting out his bagel, and wiping furiously at his tongue. I had no idea what was going on.

"Um..." Mark said, hesitantly. "Do...um, do a lot of people put sour cream on their bagels?"

I had an immediate reaction of my own--I burst into laughter.

"No," I replied. "Most of them put cream cheese on their bagels!"

Mark frowned. "Then why did you tell me--"

I pointed my finger at him and shushed him, Dog Whisperer style. "Shhh!" I hissed. "I said cream cheese, not sour cream. You. Were. Not. Listening."

And then I walked away. Because sometimes, with evidence that strong, you don't have to beat a point into the ground. Sometimes stubborn boys just have to learn their lessons the hard way...with their other senses.


No comments: