Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Weird Science (part 1)

I'd barely recovered from the disaster called "the book report" when Mark handed me a paper from school. It described a science assignment, due in six weeks. I signed the paper, informing Mark's teacher I knew about the project (and, presumably, agreed to help with it).

After six weeks battling the book report, the last thing I wanted to see was another long-term project. My first thought was a very bad word, and my second thought was not much better. My last thought was "CALM DOWN," and because I thought it just like that, in all caps, I'm not sure it really worked.

I wondered aloud if Mark had any ideas for his project. He shrugged and asked if he could play the Wii.

"No," I said, then observed that six weeks was a long time. "Do you want help making a project schedule and to-do list?" 

Mark said no, and that he was going outside to play.

It hit me then--the realization that it was time to bring in the big guns. Only this time, the big guns weren't Grandma, but something even tougher--a real life lesson. For both of us.

Mark's lesson was consequences, including what happens when you blow off a big school assignment. My lesson was keeping my mouth shut so he could succeed (or fail) on his own. I wondered whose lesson would hurt more.

I only mentioned the science project once or twice a week after that. Each time I asked if Mark had an idea, he'd reply "Yes!" enthusiastically. The ideas included testing:
  • Whether you get more wet running or walking in a rainstorm (he thought running)
  • How fast a puppy grows (This idea came after visiting my friend Jill's adorable new puppies. Mark helpfully pointed out he'd need his own puppy for the test.)
  • How fast a kitten grows (after the puppy idea was nixed) 
  • How long a kid could last inside a running clothes dryer before drying out (I'm guessing the kid was wet from running/walking through a rainstorm)
At least one of those ideas made my head hurt very badly, but still I remained a bastion of supportive encouragement. I offered my scheduling offer each week, and pointed out I'm a professional writer by trade, in case anyone needed writing or editing help. Each week, without fail, my offers were politely declined.

Requests for playing the Wii, however, increased ten-fold. I thought if Mark were smart enough, he'd think of a project that incorporated the Wii, so he could play it in the name of science.

But he didn't figure that out. I, on the other hand, have figured something out--that not nagging is waaaaaay tougher than constant nagging.

This may be the hardest (and longest) six weeks of my life.

No comments: