Monday, May 14, 2012

Weird Science (part 3)

(Read Part 1 and Part 2 first)

Friday: Science Project Due Date T -7 days.

"I have an idea!" Mark informed me, happily. "I'm gonna test my blood sugar!"

"Oh," I answered. "I thought you were gonna tell me your science project idea."

"That is my idea," he proclaimed. "I'm gonna test both hands and see which hand has a higher blood sugar."

He smiled proudly. I just said, "OK..."

"My hypothesis is that my left hand will be higher," he said. "Because I test that one way more."

"When will you start testing them both?" I asked.

"Tomorrow morning," he answered.

And he did. The first results were:

Left hand: 93
Right hand: 98

"I knew it!" Mark exclaimed. "My right hand's higher because I'm always touching stuff with it. This proves I'm right."

"You were proving the LEFT hand is higher," I reminded him. "Besides, you need more than one test to get proper results!"

"Oh, yeah," he said, looking at his left hand. "Whatever."

I wondered if "whatever" is a scientifically acceptable answer.

He conducted the second test before lunch, but didn't have any paper to write the results down. I just shook my head and walked away.

I couldn't stand it anymore. I'd gone almost six weeks saying very little, and as much as I wanted him to learn a lesson, this was killing me in a very slow and painful way. The project was due in six days--he wouldn't even fail correctly if he didn't come up with a real project!

So I caved.

"Why don't you test how exercise affects your blood sugar?" I asked.

No reaction. Mark didn't want to run laps, not even in the name of science.

"You could play active games on the Wii for two hours," I said. "And inactive games for two hours, then graph the different results." (I know, I'm a saint.)

"YEAH!" he shouted, pumping a fist in the air.

But I still wanted him to realize this was a scientific project, not just a free four-hour pass to play Wii.

"Why is exercise important?" I prodded. "Not everyone has Type 1 diabetes...why should they care how activity affects blood sugar?"

"Because they don't wanna see me fall on the floor and pass out when I'm low," Mark answered.

Eventually, with a lot more prodding, he came up with a viable answer--people with Type 1 diabetes need to know so they don't go too low during exercise, people with Type 2 need to know so they can lower their blood sugar, and...

"Who's the last audience?" I asked. "Who's reading this paper, or listening to your presentation? You need to tell them why they should care about this paper."

I was looking for the answers "my classmates and the teacher" or "non-diabetics, so they can prevent Type 2 diabetes by being active," but instead, Mark answered, "Researchers."

"OK, I quit," I said.

"What? Why?" Mark asked, confused. But his confusion paled in comparison to mine--I have no idea why he thought he'd be presenting this paper to researchers.

Mark ran straight to the Wii to start playing, but I stopped him.

"You have to write the report first," I said. "I want to see everything done except the results. You can drop those in at the end."

This was met by much grumbling, and a loud, slow walk down the hallway toward the office. Mark spent a whopping 45 minutes working on his paper before announcing his project was done. He showed me the notebook paper where he'd copied two paragraphs verbatim from a website. (OK, maybe not verbatim--he misspelled every other word.)

"You didn't just copy those paragraphs word for word, right?" I asked. "Because we've had this discussion before--that's plagiarizing."

This truly shocked him. "WHAT?!" he exploded. "Come on!" There was an awkward moment of silence, and then he stomped off again.

"It has to be typed," I called out. I heard him growl.

When he returned, Mark said, once again, he was done with his project, except for the results.

"Good job," I said, knowing full well he wasn't. "Must feel good to be done, huh?"

"Oh, yeah!" Mark sighed. "And I didn't even plagiarize. Look, I added the words 'Did you know...' before the other sentence, to make it my own."

I just smiled, because I didn't trust whatever words wanted to come out of my mouth. And I realized it's probably just as well I never realized my childhood dream of becoming a teacher--because obviously, I can't teach kids, not even my own damn kid, how to succeed without cheating, or stealing words.

Thank God this paper's due soon. I may not survive much longer...


No comments: