Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sweet tooth

Halloween scares the crap outta me, and not in an "Ooooh, ghosts and goblins" kinda way. No, living through Halloween with a diabetic child is like living next to a dynamite factory with a pyromaniac child. Each year, I literally wait for the house to explode.

Halloween is like a bad after school special that re-runs each October. It's the episode entitled, "Sugar--it will KILL YOU." And it stars a very cute little brown-haired boy, cackling, scoffing, and swallowing copious amounts of sugar all at the same time.

Our annual Halloween Disaster came early this year. Usually, Mark's blood sugar-raising adventures wait until after Halloween, but this time, he was ahead of schedule.

I stumbled across Mark's latest folly while putting away a bag of cat food. I knocked over a jar of marshmallow creme in the pantry, and it rolled kinda funny. Something about it just hit me weird.

Sure enough, when I opened it, half the jar was gone.

I know I didn't eat half a jar of marshmallow creme, and the cats don't have opposable thumbs or they would clearly be guilty. (They are seriously naughty cats.) So that just left one other critter in the house...

Maybe it wasn't Mark, I thought naively, totally disregarding the pattern of inexplicable high blood sugars he'd been having over the last week. I thought that for all of ten seconds, until I checked his room and stepped on this:



It was shoved halfway under the bed, directly under his shoe rack. Which made me think, "Ewwwww!" for a whole lotta reasons.

My first instinct was to immediately wake Mark up and start yelling at him. But what fun is it to fight with someone half-asleep and clearly not on top of their game? Mark's a sneaky guy; I had to respond in a similar fashion. This was going to be a long, painful lesson.

I emptied the jar, and scrubbed it clean. Then, I grabbed a piece of paper and scribbled a quick note to my darling son:





I folded the note and dropped it back in to the jar. 




I returned the jar to the pantry. I also did a quick scan for a giant jar of marshmallow fluff my friend Amber had sent us but couldn't find it. I wondered how Mark was still alive, and not passed out in some diabetic coma.

But I wasn't done. I had to set the stage, make Mark sweat a little. So the next morning, I gleefully announced that we were going to make whoopie pies! I dropped the whoopie pie recipe book into his lap and told him to pick out a recipe.

Mark, bless his clueless little heart, was thrilled. He was so excited I realized he must not have eaten the marshmallow fluff--even he couldn't pull off an act that well.

Mark couldn't decide whether to make lots of little whoopie pies, or one giant one. I saw my opening, and I took it.

"Let's make one huge pie!" I said. Then I paused for a moment, and said, "But I don't think we'll have enough marshmallow fluff for the filling. Maybe we can combine the fluff and the marshmallow creme together."

"No, I don't wanna do that," Mark answered, quickly. "Let's just make the little pies instead."

"What?" I asked, innocently. "Why? I think one big one would be cool! We could take funny pictures of it."

"I don't know why, I just don't want to make a big one," Mark answered. "I just want one little pie to take to school."

"It's a good thing Amber sent us that jar of fluff," I said. "You can't even buy that stuff out here. They only sell it back East."

"I wonder why?" Mark asked. He was starting to sweat a little.

I let it drop. I got the info I was looking for. After I quick search back home, I also found the jar of marshmallow fluff.

That afternoon, Mark got home about 20 minutes before I did. I knew he'd be drawn to that jar like a moth to a flame.


I reminded him he had drum lessons, and to eat a snack beforehand.

He opened the pantry to get one. Just as I peeked over the cabinet door, he very casually kicked something to the back. That little kick told me he'd found and read my note.

"Why is your foot resting on the pantry?" I asked.

Once again, he feigned ignorance.

"What?" he said. "Oh, I didn't even notice."

I could tell right away he'd gone for the good stuff again, but found my note instead. He was really sweating it now, so I let it go.

But this morning, he was in quite a mood. He ignored everything I said or asked him to do, explaining, "I can't, I'm playing with my kitten." I waited until he had his backpack on and was ready to walk out the door, and then I called him into the kitchen.

"Can you hand me that marshmallow creme?" I asked. He knew the gig was up.

He sighed. He held the jar out toward me, rolling his eyes the whole time.

"Open it," I said. He did, refusing to look into it.

"Is that a note in there?" I asked. "Read it."

He did, pretending like it was all new to him. Then, silently, he twisted the lid back on and tossed the jar into the recycling bin.

"You want to talk about this now?" I asked.

"No," he said, flatly.

"We can talk about it now, and you can come up with the consequence," I said. "Or we can talk about it later, and I'll come up with the consequence. You know which one will be worse."

He simply turned and walked out the front door.

So the bad news is, we didn't resolve it this morning. The good news is, he's at school, sweating it out one more day, and worried abut the nice, long talk we're gonna have tonight. Unfortunately for Mark, he has rotten timing, and a punishment the day before Halloween will absolutely be reflected in his candy intake tomorrow. 


Looks like the dynamite factory exploded a little early this year...

No comments: