Thursday, December 13, 2012

Dear Santa...

In years past, I've helped Mark write his letter to Santa. This year, he didn't need any help or encouragement; the kid was on it. He made sure his letter got to Santa on time (it hasn't always).

I was glad to see that he'd learned from my prior etiquette lessons.

"You have write a real letter," I'd told him. "It has to be a conversation, with give and take, with questions and observations. You can't just write a gimme-gimme-gimme letter."

He didn't understand that at 5, but he does now. At 12, he realizes it's not cool to just send Santa a list of demands.

Mark was also concerned about some of his friends--specifically, his friend Ty, who's Jewish.

"Ty's getting ripped off," Mark said, admitting later that Ty does get presents for 8 nights during Hannukah, which is pretty cool. But he couldn't figure out how Santa knew to skip Ty's house.

"That's easy," I said. "Jewish kids don't write him letters."

"Not all kids write to Santa," Mark argued.

"You sure about that?" I asked. "You gonna take that chance?"

"No," Mark answered without hesitation.

And so, as in years past, Mark wrote his letter. I'm pretty sure he doesn't believe anymore, but he doesn't want to chance it. Because, you know...what if he really does exist, and Mark didn't say "S'up"?


I read Mark's letter, and was totally cracking up inside. It was so funny I even ignored all the misspelled words, right up until the very end. There it was, right next to the picture of Mark and his cousins, with Nathalie screaming about her favorite boy band, One Direction.



"Seriously?" I screeched, pointing at his signature. "You spelled your own name wrong?"

"No, I didn't," Mark scoffed. Then he looked a little closer, and said, "It's my middle name, that doesn't count!"

I guess not. The letter was funny and had lots of questions. I was willing to overlook a misspelling, and congratulated him on a job well done.

And best of all, he only asked for three things--a new phone with a text keyboard, a hat, and a beanie with a beard and mustache attached.

I think Mark Danil might get what he asked for this year...


No comments: