Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Stress...I'm doing it wrong

I'm a single mom with a stressful job, no social life, and a mouthy kid with a chronic disease and ADD. I have a supportive family, but they all live far away.

Some days I think I'm a pretty good mom. But most days, I'm just too tired to think--I'm short on patience and long on yelling, instead of the other way around. 

This has not gone unnoticed by my child. Lately, he's offered me lots of suggestions on how to decompress.

"Hey Mom, you should get a soft ball to hold," he told me one day, while I was making dinner. "You can squeeze it when you're stressed out."

"Mom, you should try meditating," he said another day, while I was washing dishes. "It might help you calm down."

"Hey Mom, you should start walking," he offered, as I was doing the laundry. "It might help you stop yelling so much."

Usually, I just smile and nod. But yesterday, I couldn't take it any more. I'd spent half the night battling Mark's high blood sugars, because he "forgot" to bolus for his bedtime snack.

"Hey Mom, you should go to the spa," Mark yawned from his bed. "It might help you--"

"You know what'll help me be calm?" I snapped in a completely NOT calm voice. "YOU GETTING OUT OF BED! Let's go!"

"Geez," Mark muttered. "Gimme a minute to wake up." I reminded him he'd had 30 minutes of his alarm blaring to do just that. 


In the kitchen, I gave Mark his breakfast, and he gave me his pump so I could change the insulin and his set.

"If you really wanted to change the mood around here, you could do what I ask," I told Mark. "You ever think about what part your behavior plays in all this?"

Mark laughed, and shook his head at me.

"That's crazy," he said, setting his dirty dishes by the sink. "My behavior? It's not me--I'm not stressed at all."


Then he ran off to his room, completely missing the whole point. He waded through the sea of dirty clothes littering his floor, and grabbed with his hyperactive cat to play. In his pajamas. Teeth unbrushed. Five minutes before class started.

I just sighed. Somehow, I don't think my stress level actually will go down until a certain day in early September 2018...when I drop Mark off at college.

No comments: