Monday, August 26, 2013

Things I'll never understand

Number 1 on the list: Why boys stick their heads in weird places--like the kitty condo.

Number 2: Why those same boys are surprised that their decidedly large heads get stuck in said kitty condo.

Number 3: Why those aforementioned boys are surprised that I posted a photo of that ridiculous situation on the web.

**************
I was alerted to the situation by a cry for help.

"Mom!" Mark cried, immediately after jamming his head into the kitty condo. "I'm stuck!"

Some moms (more loving moms than I) might have panicked at the sight. Some moms (bad, mean moms) might have laughed at it.

The very meanest moms (who cannot pass up amazing opportunities like this, even though they bit their tongues and tried to really, REALLY hard for about three seconds) might reach for the camera and photograph the kid before helping him out. (The worst mom might also have filmed a brief video that you'll never see because the sync feature isn't working on her smartphone, and the video's too large to email. That mom also can't figure out how to transfer the video onto her computer, which means you won't ever see it, and therefore, she never filmed it, which means she's not really the worst mom ever, so stop judging.)

"Ummm...why are you in there?" I asked. I wasn't expecting a good explanation, but I really didn't know what else to say.

"Because I'm STUCK," replied my perfectly logical son, who missed the implied question of "WHY did you jam your head into the cat's play house?"

I giggled, and tried to discreetly snap a photo. Mark heard the smartphone click when I took it.

"ARE YOU TAKING MY PICTURE??" he roared, completely insulted.

"Come on," I laughed. "You cannot do something that...dumb...and expect me NOT to take pictures."



Seriously, it's the unspoken rule--if you do something that dumb, you WILL be mocked on social media. You can't just hand me these golden nuggets and expect me to keep them to myself!

The best part was our cat Frankie, who was napping in the perch above. He never even blinked an eye--just looked down briefly at Mark, as though it were completely normal to have a kid stuck in there, then yawned and resumed his nap.

Mark rolled around a bit, trying to pull his head out (how many times have I wanted to tell him exactly those words!). He finally gave up and made his second mistake.

"Fernando!" Mark called. I guess his decided that if he was stuck, he might as well be stuck with a friend.

But I knew immediately he'd picked the wrong playmate. Fernando's no Lassie--he wasn't interested in saving Mark. Nope, he ran over to the kitty tree, saw Mark's head through the opening, and swatted at him.




"Ouch!" Mark yelped. He swatted back at Fernando, who loved this game, and further attacked Mark's trapped head.

I'd like to say that I was horrified by the sight of my son trapped in the condo being attacked by the world's largest kitten, and that I ran to save him. But that's only partially true--once I wiped away the tears and stopped laughing, I DID help him, but only because we had an appointment and I didn't want to be late. (A good, quick yank on his ankles freed him, though he screamed while I did it.)

Seriously...sometimes life just hands you these moments on a silver platter. And boy, am I grateful for every one!

 

No comments: