Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas! (2009 edition)

It's my very favorite time of the year, Christmas! And I feel really fortunate to have spent another one with the people I love most -- my family.

Christmas began with the traditional Christmas Eve mass. We dressed up really nice, and then straggled until we were too late to get seats inside the church. Instead, much to my Mother's dismay, we piled into the overflow building and celebrated Christmas mass in the bingo hall (I was sorely tempted to yell "O 15!" when I dropped my money in the collection basket.)


The family.

Me and my parents.


Mark behaved really well at church, which is a semi-miracle since we don't regularly attend services (much to my chagrin, he said, "What's 'mass'?" when Kelley asked if we were attending midnight mass. And last year, he kept pointing at the Virgin Mary stature and asking loudly, "Who's she?").

After church, we drove home with a car full of caroling kids, and sat down to a lovely dinner my mom prepared. The kids could barely sit still -- they wiggled and squirmed the entire time, quickly gulping down their food so they could open a present.

Nathalie pointed out this present for me, and gasped when I said, "Who's getting a bowl?"

"How do you know what it is?" she asked.

"Look at it!" I answered. "It's not a violin!"

She made me promise to act surprised when I opened it. As soon as I promised, my dad walked in the room and said, "Oh look, a bowl!" My sister-in-law Mary, who'd wrapped it, was mortified. My dad suggested she use gift bags next year.


Hmmm, wonder what THAT is??


Finally, the kids plated some cookies and milk for Santa, then ran off to bed. The countdown for Santa began, and they almost couldn't take it. I could hear them giggle excitedly in their rooms.

I tried convincing the kids that Santa doesn't come until 7:45 a.m., so they'd better steer clear of the living room until 8. They did not listen to me, and came tiptoeing into the family room just after 7.

Gabi, Grant and Mark's eyes were big as saucers, and they told me Santa left Mark a note in his stocking. Mark told me what it said, and their eyes grew even bigger.


The note.


"Well, Mark's had a tough year," I said. "I've been warning him to behave for the past month!"

The kids held their breath and watched Mark unwrap the gift. They gasped audibly when they saw the contents -- two lumps of coal!

"I made Santa's naughty list," Mark whispered.

Hey, Santa tried to warn you, Mr. Sassypants!


The nieces and nephews couldn't wait to share the news. When the neighbor kids came over, Gabi immediately blurted out, "Mark got coal!"

Leilani stopped in her tracks, then said, "Let me see." She told us her cousin's friend had once gotten coal, then reminded us she'd been very good this year.

But Mark wasn't all bad. He got some of his favorite things for Christmas, like this bottle of mayonnaise from Gabi (he loves mayonnaise).


He also got a new robe.



And in the theme of keeping warm, I got my parents matching presents -- Snuggie blankets! My brother Scott said they weren't allowed to wear them outside of the house. I'm pretty sure my mom loved hers, because she told me, "Don't worry, I'll get even!" (That's a term of endearment, right?)



See, Snuggies keep your hands free to wave!



Or to hold hands with your beloved spouse.


Even Chuck the dog got a present -- a new stuffed squirrel to chase and attack. He was thrilled.

Get 'em, Chuck!


The afternoon was spent with our family friends, the Roppe's. It was fun to catch up with them.

My mom was still working on the big family feast. I helped by peeling the potatoes, but when Scott walked by he shouted, "Mom, Heather's cooking! Make her stop!" Nathalie repeated him, telling the kids, "Aunt Heather's cooking!" I could hear Gabi yell, "Eeeewwww!" all the way from the living room. So much for the loving, supportive, nurturing family!

After dinner, we had one more set of guests, the Fera-Schanes family. I love when they come over, because you know you're gonna spend the night laughing. And laugh we did! Seth and I almost lost it when my nephew Johnny convinced his dad to give him a snack. Johnny opened the pantry and pulled out a bag of mini-marshmallows. Brad said, "No, Johnny," but the bag was upside down, and marshmallows fell everywhere. Without hesitation, Johnny dropped to the ground and stuffed marshmallows into his mouth with both hands. I grabbed him, and he tried to protest, but his little cheeks were too stuffed for any sound to come out. Boy, was he mad at me for foiling his plan!

All in all, we had a wonderful day. It was everything Christmas should be -- family, friends, kids ripping open presents, and then playing all day with their new toys. It was good food and loud laughter. It was home.

And it was great.

1 comment:

Jfcfanatic said...

Paul got coal once because I thought it was hilarious.

Glad to hear you guys had fun!