Saturday, December 12, 2009

Oh Tannenbaum

It was with surprise and a bit of concern that I finally realized Christmas is upon us. I'd like to say that the tree and lights are up, the cards mailed and the house filled with holiday cheer.

In rea lity, I have a messy house, two unpacked suitcases full of dirty clothes from our last two weekends out of town, and the best intentions to remedy all of the above in the next week.

I may not get to putting the Christmas lights up on the house; it's rainy and cold out there. But I drew the line at not having a Christmas tree; what kind of Mom would I be if I skipped that?

And so we trudged into last night with smiles and rain on our faces. My friend Edra was kind enough to accompany us, as she has an S U V big enough to hold a freshly-cut tree. Because we'll only be home another week, I explained that we were getting a small tree -- I didn't want to deal with all the hauling, setting up and cleaning up after for an 8-foot-tree.

Mark announced he wanted a Charlie Brown tree. I could tell by the way he said it he didn't know what that meant. His explanation confirmed my suspicions.

"It's a little tree," he said.

"A little tree that's lopsided with no needles on it," I corrected him. "It's a ski nny, sad little tree."

He frowned and immediately recanted. "I don't want a needle-less tree," he said.

Mark bounded into the stalls full of trees laying on their sides. After climbing to the back of the bunch, he reached down to grab one at the bottom wedged under all the other trees. After much grunting and struggling, he pulled it out and yelled, "I want this one!"

I simply reached down and pulled up the tree closest to me. "I like this one," I said.

Edra followed my lead as Mark set about unwrapping the string around his tree. She picked up a tree and fluffed out the needles. "This one's cute, too," she said. We held up the three contenders, and let Mark choose. He then told me to grab the trunk. As I bent to do exactly that, he walked away with the tree, leaving me bent over and empty-handed. He glanced over his shoulder and laughed at me.

Back home, I lit a fire, turned on some Christmas carols, and filled a glass with wine from Napa. The rain outside was dancing on the roof. I dug out the lights, ornaments, and tree holder. I propped them up on a table to make the tree taller. The cats raced to the tree and claimed their new favorite spot




Mark loved our little tree. As soon as it was up, my spiritually-confused son clapped his hands and happily started singing, "Tonight is the night we light the menorah!" (Kelley's influence reaches far beyond the state line...) Which I was about to deem not-quite-appropriate until I realized it was, indeed, the first night of Hanukkah.

Mark ransacked the box of ornaments, choosing all his favorites. There were some pre-Mark ornaments ("Sloppy Joe's Bar, Mom? Really? A Christmas ornament from a BAR?") and some post-Mark ones that I love (a hand-colored bear with the following inscription on the back: "7 age, 2007, to Mom from Mark Dinsdale.")

We finished pretty quickly because our tree was so small. I loved it, though -- all our ornaments are from cities we've visited, so each one triggers a little trip down vacation memory lane. It was fun because I relived half the vacations with Edra ("Look, Edra, Pinocchio from Italy!") and half with Mark ("Look Mark, Disney World!"). We did have one small tragedy, when one of my favorite ornaments fell off the tree and immediately shattered into a million tiny pieces.

"Dollywood just took a dive!" I cried. I swept up the pieces and mourned; who knows when I'll ever get back to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee? (Honestly, I never thought I'd go there in the first place.)




At the end of the night, our tree looked lovely. I added decorative snowmen and Santas all over the house, and suddenly, Christmas had arrived. The messy piles of mail and luggage had been replaced by the holiday spirit.

Or rather, holiday spirits, as Mark admired the tree, and hummed Hanukkah songs.

2 comments:

Tidepool said...

oh Heather, Mark looks so happy! Can't wait to see you two!

Heather said...

Hey Sash!! He looks happy because after five pictures with eyes closed, I told him to smile and say, "Monkeybutt!" He immediately cracked up. Not the most appropriate Mom choice of words, but it worked! ;-)

Can't wait to see you either!! YAY for Christmas!