Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hold what?!?



Mark and I were harassing each other yesterday, and his go-to move is always to start singing the Mini-Sirloin Burgers song from the Jack in the Box commercials. (He knows that song gets stuck in my head and drives me insane.)


Only, for some reason, he was pronouncing it wrong. What is sounded like he was saying was "Mini sewerline burgers."

"Sir-loin!" I corrected.

"That's what I said," he corrected back.

"No," I told him. "You said 'sewer-line.' It's SIR-loin."

"Whatever," he said, and kept on singing.

But a minute later, he asked how it was pronounced again. Then he tried it out.

"Sir-loin burger," he said. "But hold the tomato." He giggled.

"That's right," I praised him.

"Or, sir-loin," he said again. "As in, 'Sir, hold my loin.'"

At which point I almost crashed the car.

"What is a loin?" he asked, curious.

"It's a part of the cow where they get the meat," I told him. Then, lest he repeat it again at an inopportune time, I added, "It's also means your privates."

"WHAT?" he shouted from the back seat. He was shocked into silence for a moment, then started snickering and said, "That's not right. That is just sooooo not right! How could you let me say that!"

"I didn't know you were gonna say it!" I exclaimed, just as shocked as he was.

I parked the car and we got out, and he was still shaking his head. "I can't believe I said that!" he told me again, and I just agreed.

If nothing else, it was a good lesson on context. And how dangerous using words out of context can be!

No comments: