Monday, June 28, 2010

Made with love


Mark thoroughly enjoyed his first week at summer camp. He played lots of sports, got to cook over a camp fire, and stoked a new interest in arts and crafts.


He handed me one fine piece of art and told me proudly, "I made this for you, Mom!"

It was a fine sculptured box, rendered with mini popsicle sticks and white glue. I thought it was wonderful.



However, when my niece Nathalie came to visit, she picked it up and asked, "What is this?"

"Mark made that for me," I said.

"Oh," Nat answered. She was flipping it around and asked, "Who's Sofia Wilson?"

I looked at Nat, who offered me the other side of the box, complete with Sofia's name on it.



"I'm guessing it's someone at Mark's camp," I answered.

Nat ran off to ask Mark, and I just giggled. I vowed to change my answer so that the next time someone asked me what it was, I'd say, "It's something Mark gave me."

Because even though it probably was a gift for mom, it was Sofia's mom, not me.

No comments: