Tuesday, June 22, 2010

These are few of my favorite things...

Last weekend we ventured out to Cherry Valley to visit my aunt. My cousin Kathleen said she was playing in a golf tournament fundraiser, and when I learned it was to benefit firemen, I was there!

However...turned out the firemen who more like fire
boys. They were young young young. And because the golf tourney was played at a retirement community, depending on who I was standing next to at any moment, I either felt like an old lady ogling the young firefighters or a young hottie having lunch with the seniors.

But the day was not a loss. We also walked to the Lavender Festival across the street from my aunt's house. Mark was thrilled when my Tia Evelyn told him he could ride to the festival in her golf cart.




He was disappointed to learn he wasn't driving, but he gladly accepted a consolation prize -- a honking horn, which my aunt immediately regretted handing him.




The lavender fields were lovely, and surprising. I had no idea there were so many fields back there, or even a resort with cottages. There were massive trees, and lavender everywhere, all of it buzzing with bees.


Mark saw a group of kids playing and ran off to join them. Kathleen, Tia Evelyn and I walked out to the fields. We watched some people chase a bunny (cute!) and some others jump away from a snake (creepy!). The circle of life (or at least the food chain) was alive and active all around us.



Another nearby building on the property intrigued us -- a new steakhouse. I'm not much of a steak fan, but it had a bar, and though we were 7 minutes late, they served us drinks at happy hour prices. Mark threatened to ruin my happy hour by being honest about the time, but I threatened him back by saying he would pay the difference. He agreed that it might be smarter for him to drink his ice water and enjoy the giant squirrels frolicking outside the window instead.

After a yummy dinner at a local Mexican restaurant, it was time for us to head back to the big city. Mark was sleepy, and as we drove away, the memory of cute firemen and the aroma of sweet lavender still lingered. I was a happy girl.

No comments: