Tuesday, November 2, 2010

He doesn't mints words

Mark and I were playing catch outside yesterday, when he brought up the subject of allowance. He informed me that he'd played his drums all week, and finished his day's homework, and that I owed him $3.

"OK," I answered. "But let's try something new--let's put your allowance in a jar in the kitchen, so you can actually see how much money you have."

He frowned at me, so I went on.

"When you keep it in your wallet, you never have any money," I said. "What do you spend it on?"

"I buy mints," he said, with a shrug.

"Ooh," I said. Then, mimicking an adult Mark, I said, "I wanted to buy a house, but I bought mints instead."

He giggled, so I went on.

"I wanted to go to college, but I bought mints."

He laughed out loud.

"I wanted to travel the world, but I bought mints." Then I frowned, and in super stern voice said, "I wanted to buy my mom a Christmas present--"

"--so I bought her mints!" Mark yelled, and fell into a fit of laughter. I couldn't help it, I laughed along with him.

So, if your birthday is coming up, or you exchange Christmas presents with Mark, don't be surprised if this year...you get mints.

No comments: