Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My little bald hero

I usually treat Mark like a little kid simply because...well, he is a little kid. But sometimes, he reminds me by his actions that he's much wiser than I give him credit for.

Last week, Mark participated in his third St. Baldrick's day, to raise money and fight childhood cancer. He voluntarily gave up the thing he treasures most besides his purple skinny jeans--his hair. That's right, he stepped up on stage and let someone shave his head. As in bald. As in...gone.

The before picture. Enjoying a few last precious moments with his hair.


The after picture. He realizes what he really just did--buh-bye hair!


He even had to work to get his head shaved. I signed him up, but didn't know I had to turn in a parent signature. So at first, they denied Mark, and he called me in tears. But we got it worked out, and soon after, he joined the throngs of baldies who couldn't stop rubbing their newly-shorn heads.

I was a few minutes late, and missed seeing Mark get shaved. I was bummed, but then I looked around the schoolyard, where more than 100 other bald people were walking around, and I couldn't help smiling. It was really inspiring to see all these people step up and give so publicly. Not just give money, but give themselves--I mean, really, hair is important to people, and shaving it all off is pretty selfless.

Anyway, for Mark, it was a big deal for a few minutes. He helped raise money, he got to be onstage with his friends, and he'll get to wear his favorite baseball cap to school for the next few weeks.

But for me, it was a much bigger deal. It was a chance to see my son think of others, to act compassionately, and to think beyond himself.

And it's a chance for me to remember what a wonderful, thoughtful kid he is, and how lucky I am that I get to raise him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

love it. what a guy!!