Tuesday, April 12, 2011

MacGyver Junior

Mark loves bandages. He likes the regular adhesive strip bandages you put on tiny cuts, but what he really loves are the long, gauzy bandages you wrap around a sprained ankle.

"I sprain my ankle a lot," he told me. "Maybe I need to go to the doctor."

"Or maybe you just need to tie your shoes," I said. I've noticed that since he's worn his laces untied in the name of being cool, the ankle "injuries" have increased tenfold.

The school nurse's bandage supply must be running low, because Mark brought home at least three or four in the past two weeks. I couldn't tell if he just likes the attention/sympathy he gets when he's wearing them, or if he's wearing them as a fashion statement. Yesterday, while doing laundry, I got my answer when I saw this:



Definitely a fashion statement.

That's right, the bandages support more than just ankles--they also support skinny jeans two sizes too big. You know, the pair Mark swears fit perfectly. And it doesn't matter that he has at least five decent belts, he chose to MacGyver his pants into some sort of pirate outfit using this raggedly old bandage to keep them up.


I'm going to look at this in a more positive light. Maybe I have a future clothes designer on my hands, and this is one of his signature designs.

Or maybe I'm just wasting my money on belts. From now on, I'll just buy packages of gauze bandages instead of belts from now on. They are much more versatile than belts, and serve many different purposes.

See, I'm inspired already...Thanks, MacGyver.

No comments: