Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Band on the run

Last week I had the distinct pleasure of attending Mark's middle-school band winter concert. And because I'm a giver, I invited Edra and my cousin Kathleen along, too, so they could share in the holiday joy. Since they graciously accepted and sat through an hour of songs by kids they don't even know (except for Mark), I hereby nominate them for Best Friends of the Year.

There are a lot of kids in the band. Actually, there were a lot of bands in the band! They included the 6th grade and Advanced Orchestras, the 6th Grade and Advanced Bands, and the Jazz Band.

Mark plays percussion in the 6th Grade and Jazz bands. Jazz band already has a drummer, so Mark is biding his time, waiting for that kid to move on to high school. Until then, he plays an impressive array of percussion instruments.

I heard the Jazz band play at the recent Dad's Donut Day, so I knew they were pretty good. The orchestra was also good. The songs all started off a bit iffy, but once the kids got into the chorus, the tunes were recognizable and even enjoyable (and, thankfully, not long).

I loved watching all the kids during the concert. They were complete professionals when they played, but when they weren't playing, they seemed kinda bored. I couldn't take my eyes off one girl in the front row who kept yawning. It sent me into a fit of giggles at one point, and only a steely glare from my cousin shut me up.

The percussion group seemed a little bit confused. I think there were just too many of them sharing too small a space. They moved around awkwardly between songs, bossing each other around. Mark talked to his buddy non-stop. I kept saying to Kathleen and Edra, "Oh my God, he never shuts up!" And then I realized I was also talking non-stop throughout the concert, and that sadly, my little apple did not fall far from the tree.

Edra made sure that Mark saw her. She waved wildly at him up onstage, and he gave her a barely-perceptible "What up?" nod. She kept on waving, and he opened his eyes bigger to acknowledge her. She still kept on waving, and finally, embarrassed, and not knowing what else to do, he turned away. He stole a look at her a moment later, and turned bright red when she started waving again. It was hilarious--Kathleen and I could not stop giggling. She kept torturing him, but he kept his cool the whole time. (After the concert, he freaked out a bit, saying, "We aren't allowed to wave back!!!")


Mark, wishing Auntie Edra would stop waving at him.

 
Mark played in three songs. He played tambourine during "The Tempest," staring at the music sheet intently, and making sure he hit every note exactly when he was supposed to. He played snare drum during a rousing version of Mozart's "Eine kleine Nachtmusik." Another drummer played a big kettle drum, giving the song an oom-pah feel, and I wanted to swing a stein of beer in the air along with the music.

Mark also busted out the bells for "Blue Skies." As I've mentioned before, the bells are really more like a xylophone than actual hand-held bells, but whatever. Mark played the heck outta those bad boys, and I hereby nominate him as the Baddest Bell Player in town. 


Bell yeah, that kid can play!

All in all, it was a fabulous evening. I got to see Mark get all dressed up, and do something he's really good at. I was so proud of him! He looked great, sounded great, and concentrated so hard during his parts.


Sean and Mark, who do NOT like their photos taken. Moody musicians!


It was fun to see his friends playing in the band, and to say hi to all their parents in the audience. And it was even more fun to go out to dinner afterwards with Edra and Kathleen to celebrate Mark's performance. That's how we always celebrated big achievements in my family growing up, and it felt great to keep up the tradition.

And, just for future reference, if anyone ever needs a bell player, you let me know. I know one who rocks the fake-xylophone.

2 comments:

mermaidsbath said...

They're called bells because they are metal. Xylophones are wood. And they are considered a percussion instrument because they are struck. Congrats on being a Band Geek Parent. I am the proud mom of an Orch Dork. Nattie has been playing violin for almost 3 years, and has been invited to go on a concert tour of Europe in 2013. we're excited. Buddy starts cello in the New Year.

Heather said...

OK, thanks for schooling me on the band instruments, RuthAnn. And YAY for Nattie! That's soooooo awesome! And go Buddy, on the cello. Mark rocked the cello for a couple years--he really liked it. :-)