Friday, August 24, 2012

The cook quits

I was foraging through the fridge for dinner when Mark asked if we had any eggplant left. I told him he was in luck.

"Oh, I'll make some spaghetti, too," I told him.

"Nah," he answered. "I just want the eggplant."

"OK," I said. "I'll just add mozzarella and spaghetti sauce like I did last time--it'll be eggplant Parmesan without the pasta."

"No cheese," he said. "And no sauce--I just want the eggplant."

So I made just the plain ol' breaded eggplant. And you can guess where this is going in 3...2...1...

"Hmmm, this was better last time you made it," my unappreciative gourmand observed.

"Oh, really?" I said. "You mean when it had cheese and sauce on it???"

He grinned sheepishly and shrugged. I silently told my hand not to smack him upside the head. Surprisingly, it listened. Barely.

"Next time, I'm just gonna make it with cheese and sauce," I said, getting up. I reminded Mark it wouldn't kill him to listen to me every once in a while, and that sometimes, I actually know what I'm talking about.

But in the meantime...I still made him eat that eggplant. Because sometimes life lessons are more memorable when they're served up piping hot, breaded and plain.


No comments: