Friday, August 31, 2012

This is a kid who knows his Grandma very well

Each week, I take Mark to drum practice at 7:30. And each week he complains bitterly about the cupcake store half a block away, which, to his dismay, closes promptly at 7 p.m.

I'm not sure why Mark believes I'd buy him cupcakes if the darn shop was open, but he does, wholeheartedly. (Hey, I'm all for the occasional cupcake, but EVERY week? Dream on, kid!)

But this week was a little different. Mark's lesson was Sunday afternoon, and since my mom was visiting, she went with us.

I parked in front of Mark's class, and told him we'd be back in an hour. Mark silently exited the car, and then, just before shutting the door, he popped his head back in and said quietly to his Grandma, "OK. Oh, and the cupcake store is open."

He shut the door, smiled at me slyly, and headed for class.

But the damage was already done. My mom, who has a wicked sweet tooth (and a propensity for spoiling her grandkids), called out the window, "Cupcakes? What? Where?"

Mark was walking into his lesson, but he turned and pointed down the street, still smiling at me. My mom obediently exited the car, and asked what kind he wanted.

"I don't know what they have," he answered.

He dropped his bag and sprinted down the block toward the bakery. He returned a moment later, still sprinting, and called out, "German chocolate!" as he passed us. I just shook my head, and watched my mom head in that direction. When she came back, she was holding a plastic box full of cupcakes (including one German chocolate) in her hand.

Well-played, my son...well-played.

No comments: