Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Heather and Michelle master the art of relaxation

My mom and I had such a blast in San Francisco--we literally exhausted ourselves so much that when our flight home was delayed, we didn't even care. We were just glad to sit still and rest for the extra few hours!

But I didn't rest long. Mom went home on Wednesday, and I headed east for a little wine adventure with my friend Michelle. We arrived in Temecula that afternoon ready to get in to the grape.

Our first stop was the Ponte winery. The wines were okay, but the air conditioning was better. It was a scorching 108 degrees outside! Which is hot enough, but considering I'd just come back from 60 degree weather in San Fran, it was pretty. damn. hot.

We were staying at the South Coast Winery, which I love because they have villas right on the vineyard. But the villas are set back a bit from the main winery restaurants and tasting room, so we decided to enjoy happy hour before checking out our room.

That was a good move. Not only do I like happy hour, I also like cute men, and firemen. Which worked out well, because our young waiter was starting fire school in a couple weeks, so he was kind of like a fireman-to-be. We really enjoyed our wine, our appetizers, and our cute, smiling waiter.

We checked in to our villa, which was right next to the pool. I was indeed a happy girl. We were in that pool in about 10 seconds, sipping a complimentary bottle of wine, and smiling at our good fortune. Physically, we were only 85 miles from home, but it felt like a million.



That last bottle did us in. We realized around 9:30 that WE NEEDED PIZZA, and we were not to be dissuaded. Even though we were in the middle of nowhere, and could not figure out the phone system or even our address, we knew that we needed pizza. And we finally got it, too, although I fell asleep before it finally arrived. (Michelle once again saves the day by waiting up for the pizza--just like our good old college days!)
We slept in late the next morning, and after a breakfast of cold pizza, we hit repeat: pool, wine tasting, pool, dinner. The wine tasting took place at the end of a winery tour. 



The tour was really nice--I've been on a lot of tours before, so I always worry the info will be the same. But this tour guide taught us lots of new stuff, and did a very nice wine and food pairing. It was nice and relaxing.




What Michelle and I learned on this trip is that we aren't, in fact, still reckless party animal college kids who can go big every night. Which might have bothered me before (my fleeting youth!), but now, as a more mature adult (stop laughing), I really appreciated the nice dinner and the guitar player in the restaurant. And of course, after dinner, it was back to the pool. (Did I  mention it was hot out there??) It was a lovely way to spend a vacation day.

We slept in late again the next morning, then feasted on the house specialty--bananas Foster pancakes. Oh my God, they were good! We dined al fresco on our attached patio, with some fat alligator lizards nearby for company. We had just enough time for a quick dip into the pool before check-out at noon. We arrived at the office at exactly 11:59 a.m., to return our keys.



It was an awesome, relaxing way to end Mommy Camp. San Francisco with my mom, Sasha and family was a blast, and Temecula with Michelle was equally fun. I think it was one of the best Mommy Camps so far--so thank you to everyone who participated with me! :-)

No comments: