Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Lonely Spirit

Today, my little niece Gabi celebrated her first communion. It was a really wonderful event -- 200 little boys with white shirts and ties, and little girls dressed like tiny brides, all surrounded by proud parents and family members. Gabi gave a reading during the mass, and did great. It was so cute!

Mark, on the other hand, is not an active member of the Catholic church. He doesn't know the prayers and responses by heart like the rest of us. So when the priest said to lay our hands on our children's heads for a prayer, he squirmed away from me.

"Come back here," I told him. "Let's do the sign of the cross."

"The WHAT?" he said, a little louder than necessary.

"The sign of the cross," I repeated. I placed my hand on his forehead, his chest and then side to side, telling him, "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

"The what?" he asked again, confused. "Who's the Lonely Spirit?"

It took me a moment, but then I broke into giggles.

"The HOLY Spirit, not the Lonely Spirit!" I told him.

But I giggled about the Lonely Spirit for the rest of the day.


No comments: