Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fine dining with Señor Piggy

Last night I had a hot date at a popular eating establishment. Unfortunately, the date was my son, and the establishment was a fast-food terriyaki restaurant (but boy, is it good!).

I say unfortunately because said eatery has TVs in every corner, which only broadcast sports. This is troubling for many reasons: 1. I'm not into sports, 2. TV renders Mark deaf, mute, and unable to pry his eyes away, and 3. It's not much fun to eat dinner with a deaf, mute kid who forgot you're even there. (I'm beginning to sympathize with all you football widows!)

In addition to zapping Mark's attention, the TVs also stole his good manners. First he chomped his dinner quite loudly, with his mouth open, until I reminded him we weren't in a cud-chewing contest. (Sometimes I think you have kids just so you can say things like that -- "Whaddaya think this is, a cud-chewing contest??")

Next, he proceeded to remove every gristly bit of steak he encountered. If that doesn't sound gross, then imagine what I watched firsthand -- Mark saying, "Ewwww, this piece is all FATTY!" then spitting a half-chewed piece of steak onto my tray. (Thanks, son!) This happened more than once, until I suggested some discretion might be more appropriate. Mark looked at me like I was winning the cud-chewing contest and turned back to the TV wordlessly.

Suddenly, a basketball game started and Mark lost interest in dinner altogether. He still had half a plate of rice and about 4.5 units of insulin coursing through his veins (that's about twice as much as a normal dinner without high-carb rice and sugary terriyaki sauce). I encouraged him to finish up, but he'd blocked me out. All he could hear or see was basketball.

So I had to pull out the big guns. I started telling him about a TV show I watched at Uncle Scott and Aunt Mari's house. (Fight fire with fire, right?) He still wasn't listening until I mentioned the words "giant" and "burrito."

I told him about this TV host that travels around eating giant food -- hamburgers as big as basketballs, and omelettes made with 12 eggs. I hooked him with a tale about a guest star on the show, who was a competitive eater. Then I reeled him in describing how the guy devoured a 5.5 POUND burrito in less than three minutes.

Mark was all ears now. When I finished the story, he smiled broadly, and I realized what I'd just done. Before I could let out a slow-motion scream ("Nooooooo!"), he was tucking into his rice with alarming speed, mimicking the competitive eater. He sucked down seven huge forkfuls in just under a minute.

He smiled at me, wiping rice from his chin. A terriyaki stripe was smeared across his cheek. He patted his belly, stifled a belch, and laid back into his seat.

"Oh man," he said, chewing the last of his cud -- er, rice. "I am sooooo full." He let out another belch to prove it. He closed his eyes a moment, resting, and I thought he might really fall asleep.

"Wow, you're a piece or work, you know that?" I told him. "What a wonderful dinner companion you are -- ignoring me, stuffing yourself, belching, then falling asleep at the table. You're quite the charmer."

He laughed. "I love you, Mommy!" he answered, and just as my heart melted a little, he fished out a piece of gristle from his mouth and shouted, "Yuck! That is SOOOO gross!"

It was definitely a dinner to remember. Just not in a good way.

No comments: