Wednesday, June 17, 2009

No wonder he's not impressed

I was researching things to do in Fairbanks during our upcoming Alaska trip, and came across this gem:

Santa Claus House
101 St. Nicholas Drive, North Pole, AK 99705
Unique theme shop w/gifts, apparel, ornaments & Original Letter from Santa!


Turns out the North Pole is a scant 20 minutes away from downtown Fairbanks -- we can actually visit the Jolly Old Elf himself at home!

Oh my goodness, I was beside myself with joy. A chance to visit Santa at the North Pole -- what could be better than that?

I shared the exciting news with Mark as soon as I got home. I knew he wouldn't be outwardly excited, because 9-year-olds do not believe in Santa. (Not when their friends are around, anyway -- but ask any kid right before bedtime on Christmas Eve if they believe, and you'll get a positive response. Even 9-year-olds are smart enough to believe the night before!!)

But Mark's response surprised me. He simply shrugged his shoulders and said casually, "I've already been there."

This stopped me in my tracks! "What do you mean?" I asked. "You've already been to the North Pole?"

He nodded. "My parents took me there when I was a baby."

I could sense a good story coming on. I prodded him for more info.

"Really?" I asked. "What was it like?"

"It had a big red and white striped pole," he answered. "And there was snow everywhere."

"What else?" I asked.

"You know, lots of elves," he said. "And some reindeer."

"So cool!" I exclaimed. "What were they like?"

"I don't remember," he said. "I was just a little baby!"

"Huh," I said, scratching my head. "Well, then you can show me around, because I've never been there. I've only seen the North Pole on T.V."

But he was tired of this story already. "I told you, I was just a little baby!" he said. "I probably won't remember any of it!"

And so, in just a few short weeks, I will be visiting Santa and the North Pole for the first time in my life. And Mark will be returning for his second triumphant visit.

I wonder if Santa will remember him? ;-)

No comments: