Wednesday, October 21, 2009

One sundae with extra sugar, please

On Saturday, I took Mark out for our belated Adoption Day celebration dinner. We celebrated with two humongous ice cream sundaes and a whole lot of sugar-induced giggles.

Mark mulled over his choices carefully before we left. He was afraid he'd forget something, and I was afraid they wouldn't have the nutritional values readily available. So we ran through the various ice creams and toppings, with Mark screaming out his choices and me writing down the carbs.

He ended up with half-mocha/half mint-chip ice cream, cookie dough and coconut mix-ins, and caramel syrup, all in a waffle bowl. I added up all the carbs for that, then had a minor heart attack -- 150 grams of carbs! (He usually averages 60-80 per meal.)

That was his previous highest carb intake EVER, after a huge meal at Soup Plantation. He was so excited by his massive carb count that he called my mom to tell her, "Grandma, I'm eating ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY carbs!!!" She was suitably mortified, which made him smile even bigger.

But it was our Adoption Day, so I didn't care. Needles and insulin be damned, we were going to have ice cream for dinner!

Mark bounced all around the store as the woman scooped up his sundae. He posed for me, but refused to stop eating long enough for me to snap the pic:



It didn't take long for the sugar to kick in. Within 10 bites, Mark asked, "Who needs a spoon anyway?" and dunked his face directly into the sundae. (Apparently, spoons are not a quick enough delivery mechanism.)


However, while not quick, spoons do provide other advantages, such as civility and good table manners! Neither of which were evident at this meal...


The sugar was almost too much for Mark -- his little body couldn't handle it! Pretty soon he was dancing in his seat, and singing. He finally couldn't take it anymore, and had to burn off some energy. With a loud howling noise, he jumped out of his chair and ran through the Pavillion's next door. He returned, passed me by, screamed "Ooooga booga!" and repeated his laps three more times. I was falling off my seat with laughter.

By the time we left, he was hopping up and down, pulling me through the parking lot. "Let's go!" he shouted, scaring an elderly woman nearby. "It's time for the VROOM VROOMIES!"

He dove into the back seat of the car. As I drove away, he shouted at every passerby. "VROOM VROOM!" he called out, cackling. When we hit the street, he decided to pant and bark like a dog at the other cars.

I couldn't take him home in that condition -- he'd wreck the house! So instead, we went shopping for Halloween costumes. He raced up and down the aisles excitedly, like every other kid was doing. He was, however, the only kid dancing in the aisles.

We shopped until the sugar rush finally wore off, then headed home. I checked his blood sugar religiously two hours afterwards, then at four and six hours later. Ironically, that six-hour window was the lowest his blood sugar was all weekend!

By bedtime, he was exhausted but happy. He had a new Halloween costume, a full belly, and a happy memory.

As for me...I was just happy the sugar finally wore off!

No comments: