Thursday, April 29, 2010

Family resemblance

Mark's in fourth grade, which means his class spends a lot of time learning about California history. The fourth and fifth grades are even taking a trip to Sacramento to learn all about our capital.

Mark was disappointed that he's not going (it's $450 for one day!). He was also a little bitter when he found out a classmate is going for free simply because her last name is Sutter, and she's a great-great-granddaughter of John Sutter, founder of Sutter's Mill. He wanted a famous relative of his own.

"Well, you have a semi-famous uncle," I told him.

"I do?" He was intrigued.

"Sure," I said. "The guy who discovered the Loch Ness Monster was named Tim Dinsdale, just like your Uncle Tim." I left off the part that Nessie is a myth, an urban legend -- what fun is it to have an uncle who's also a liar?

Mark wasn't much impressed. He sat back in his seat for a few minutes, then shared a tidbit from his previous life.

"Well, someone in my other family was famous," he offered. "Did you know I'm related to Manny Ramirez?"

He's a die-hard Dodger fan, so I wasn't surprised he'd picked Manny.

"Oh, you are?" I asked, knowing full well he wasn't. "How's he related?"

"He's my uncle," Mark said. I could see him in the rear view mirror, smiling and proud of himself.

I let him think about it a few minutes, then asked carefully, "Um...you know he's African-American, right?"

Mark nodded. A different skin color wasn't gonna ruin his story.

"There are African-American people in your family?" I asked my little white son.

"One," he answered, and then he cracked. He realized he was caught, and started laughing.

But you've gotta give the kid points for trying!

No comments: