Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lost in translation

These are the types of arguments we have in my house...

Mark was listening to "I Gotta Feeling," by his favorite singers, the Black Eyed Peas. I wasn't paying much attention until he sang this line:

"Fill up my car, mazel tov!"

"It's not 'car,'" I corrected. "It's 'Fill up my cup.'"

"No, it's car," he retorted.

"Listen to the next line," I said. "'Fill up my cup, drink!'"

But he was not to be dissuaded.

"No, they said 'drain,'" he told me.

"Fill up my car, drain?" I asked.

He nodded.

"But that doesn't even make sense," I answered.

He shrugged. "That's what they say," he told me, then ran off, singing very loudly, "Fill up my car, DRAIN!"

Sometimes it's just easier to go with it than to keep arguing against a hard-headed little kid. So when he re-appeared and sang it again, I simply smiled and answered, "Mazel tov!"

Hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

No comments: