Thursday, April 1, 2010

A hair-raising adventure

Last week, Mark's school hosted the annual St. Baldrick's event. The premise is pretty touching -- participants agree to raise money for a cure to childhood cancer and to have their heads shaved.

That's right -- shaved. As in no hair. None. Completely bald!

It's very inspiring. This year, there were 160 shavees, including at least one woman and a little baby (his fireman dad also shaved his head). There were other firefighters, a high school baseball team, parents, and more than 100 boys from the school. The honor of the first shaving went to a middle school girl who is currently in treatment for cancer. She shaved her dad's head as everyone cheered.

I love that Mark volunteered for this. That kid loves his hair, and for him to give it up was a sacrifice. I was proud of my little guy.

He even tried to involve me.

"Are you shaving your head this year, Mom?" he asked.

I shook my head and answered, "I give the money, you give the hair." I offered to shave my head next year if he pays the donation; I'm 99% sure he'll refuse.

Eight boys from his Cub Scout den attend the school, and all eight boys shaved their heads. It was hilarious to see them all running around bald-headed and rubbing each others' heads.

Here's Mark's before picture:



Here he is mourning the impending hair loss with his friends Cody and Jonah:



Let the buzzing begin!



The final results -- a good-lookin' bald Mark!




The boys were hilarious afterwards. They couldn't keep their hands off their heads, and went around rubbing each other's stubble like they were Buddha bellies. We all attended a play that night, and they sat in the same row, a chain of boys rubbing each others' heads.

Here's Mark checking out Jonah's new 'do.



They were very supportive of each other, too. Here are Mark and Jonah keeping Sean company right before his hair was sheared off. (Really, Jonah and Mark were excited, even if they don't much look like it here!)

Mark and Sean, post-shave.

I was so proud of all the boys! Even if I couldn't quite tell them apart. It's hard enough to pick them out on the playground, since they all wear the same school uniform. And it was even harder when they no longer had hair to help distinguish them! One boy even called out to a smaller boy, until he realized it was the wrong kid.

"Sorry!" he said. "I thought you were my little brother."

I'm so proud of my little guy, who really lives up to the definition of a hero. And he's excited that he gets to wear his new Dodgers hat to school to prevent sunburning his scalp. So I guess it's an all around winning situation. :-)

No comments: