Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mr. Generous

Mark's having a blast at camp this week. His group is traveling to all sorts of fun places, and today's big adventure was to an Angels game.

I sent him off with 20 bucks and a firm reminder that he was to eat a proper lunch. I told him I have eyes watching his every move (I lied) and I would know if he feasted on only ice cream, cotton candy and diet soda.

But when he called at lunch, he just wanted the carb counts for a hot dog and diet soda. I kept waiting for a second call about Cracker Jack or ice cream, but it never came.

"How was the game?" I asked when I picked him up.

"Good!" he answered. He handed me his remaining five dollars and said, "My friend didn't have any money, so I bought him some Cracker Jacks."

He bit his lip and looked at me expectantly. I dunno what he thought I was gonna do (probably yell at him for spending my money), so I confused him by smiling.

"That was very nice," I said. "I bet he was really happy."

Mark immediately perked up and said, "He was happy. Very happy!" He grinned.

And then the floodgates opened. "I also bought him some ice cream," Mark confessed. "And I bought this other girl some cotton candy."

"You did?" Now I was the confused one. "Did you have enough money for all that?"

"Yup!" he answered.

I shrugged. "Well, then you must've been very popular today."

"I was!" he said. He smiled again, and felt very proud of himself.

"Well, it was really nice of you to be so generous," I said. I kept my tone and words upbeat and happy. But truth be told, I was a little scared--images of Mark in college popped in to my head. I could see him buying pizza for everybody, and a little later on, buying rounds of drinks for all his friends. I realized for the first time that textbooks and class fees may not be the most expensive part of Mark's college experience. Apparently, I should be saving enough to feed not only Mark, but all his friends as well.

But if that's the cost of raising a generous, friendly kid...I think it's a bargain.

No comments: