Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Village is working

I love the old adage that it takes a village to raise a child. My child in particular is a wild banshee in need of more guidance and discipline than I alone can provide, and so I am grateful for backup from my village.

Last night, Mark was commenting on the village members.

"I like it better when I get in trouble with Grandma than when I do with Edra," he said, speaking about one of my best friends (who also runs a before/after school center for kids).

This surprised me -- I'd always assumed Grandma was the biggest, baddest threat around.

"Why's that?" I asked.

"Because," Mark said thoughtfully. "When I get in trouble with Grandma, she yells at me, but then she has a good laugh about it later. Edra just yells at me and then says all proud, 'Man, I gave that Mark some
gooooood discipline.'"

I burst into laughter.

"She doesn't have a good laugh about it later?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No, she's proud of how well she disciplined me!"

I laughed again, as did Edra when I told her what he'd said. She loved it.

And I love my village -- all the parents, brothers, sisters-in-law, friends, aunties and uncles who tell it like it is, and shape my son into a well-rounded, nice kid. Keep on with your discipline and bad selves--it's working!

No comments: