Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Mother's Day to remember

My life has been kind of hectic lately. Is it wrong to admit that all I wanted for Mother's Day was to sleep in late?

My wonderful son, however, had other plans for me. I slept soundly until 6:50 a.m., when I heard his alarm go off. I thought he'd forgotten to turn it off over the weekend.

Then, I didn't hear another sound until almost an hour and a half later, when my door opened, and a voice called out, "Happy Mother's Day!" And there was my boy, bearing a tray with breakfast in bed.

He made me quite a feast--a really large omelette and peanut butter toast. With whip cream on it. And Thin Mints. (He has a way with garnish!)




"You even got a bonus omelette!" he pointed out. "See, I cooked that little one in the single-egg pan!"

He was very excited to serve it to me, and asked if he, too, could have toast with peanut butter and Thin Mints. I offered him one of mine, but he wanted his own.

I dug into my omelette. It was...well-done. And not necessarily your standard omelette. It was more of a three-inch thick fried egg than a fluffy omelette.

"Wow, you did a good job cooking this," I commented.

"Yup!" Mark answered. "I cracked all the eggs in there one by one so it would cook right. And then I filled it with cheese!" He beamed proudly at me.

My cousin, who'd witnessed the event, told me later he put half a bag of cheese in there. She couldn't stop snickering, watching me eat my egg-a-licious breakfast. She only stopped when I loudly offered to share it with her.

Mark and I enjoyed our feast and talked about our plans for the day. We decided on a picnic and hike, and to invite our friend Edra along with us.

"Too bad she's not here to share your breakfast!" Mark said, sadly. I agreed.

I ate as much as I could, then tried discreetly to take my leftovers into the kitchen. Mark was surprised at how little I'd eaten.

"It was really, really good," I praised him. "But I usually only eat an egg and a half. This is a lot of eggs!"

"Well, you can save it for tomorrow," he said.

"Great idea!" I answered.

My second Mother's Day surprise came when I entered the kitchen. Here's what I saw:



"You used SIX EGGS?" I gasped.

"Well, five. I dropped one on the floor. But not on your new cabinets," he added quickly. He said it so fast and with such conviction that I cried a little inside, knowing he'd done exactly that.

"What's that?" I asked, pointing to the goopy pale liquid.

"Pancakes," Mark said. "They didn't turn out so well."

There were three frying pans on the stove, one of which was glistening.

"
What's all this?" I asked, running a finger through the pan.

"Oh, butter," Mark explained. "I melted a whole stick of butter in there, but then the pancake mix got too runny. It turned into one giant pancake. And it was so skinny!"

I bit my lip. He was so earnest, and had worked so hard. The food turned my stomach a little, but it completely warmed my heart. He'd tried so hard, and I loved him for it. (Coincidentally, I realized he must feel the same way when I cook for him! He is just as kind and complimentary on my food; I never realized it was so...not good.)

I took a final look at the spilled batter, the empty shells, the butter-filled pan, and the heap of raw-egg-soaked towels on the counter. Then I smiled at Mark and said, "You know what I like best about Mother's Day? That I don't have to do the dishes!"

I kissed him on the head and walked out. He groaned a little, but bless his little heart, he didn't complain. He washed every single dish.

And what better present could I get than that?

No comments: