Thursday, September 22, 2011

And this is one of my SMART friends...

Recently, some friends came to the States for a visit. They flew in from Australia, where they live. He's American, she's Australian, and my friend Nicky and I were very excited to see them.

We were also excited to meet their gorgeous baby girl. Sophia was beautiful, sweet and super happy. She doesn't talk yet, but she's very vocal, so Nicky and I spent a lot of time trying to make her giggle.

Later on, we were discussing how cute Sophia is, and what great parents Ted and Nicole are. We also marvelled at how Ted has absolutely no Australian accent whatsoever, even though he's lived in Sydney for 15 or 16 years. 

Nicky paused for a minute, and then said, "I wonder what Sophia will speak."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You know," Nicky explained. "Since her Dad's American, and her mom's Australian."

Now it was my turn to pause. Then I burst into laughter, and I told Nicky, "You know they speak English in Australia, right? She's gonna speak English, like both of them!"

Nicky got all flustered and said that's not what she meant, she really meant would Sophia have an American accent or an Australian one, blah blah blah. But for the rest of the evening, I couldn't get that thought out of my head, and I just kept giggling about it. Every time I looked at Nic, she glared at me and told me to shut up.

Which I would have done...if only I'd known which language she meant, American or Australian.


No comments: