Thursday, September 15, 2011

This makes me sad

CNN.com runs daily polls on their web site, usually in conjunction with a popular news story.

I was shocked to see the results from a poll the other day. Seems more than 47,000 people (52% of the respondents!) rarely go to one of my favorite places on Earth. And they admitted it!


I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they said "Rarely" because they get their books old-school style--from the library. Or maybe they order their books from online retailers. (Which I also do when I'm pressed for time.)

But still, there's nothing I find more intoxicating than roaming the aisles of my local brick-and-mortar bookstore. I love the feeling of going through the new hardcover bestsellers, of sorting through the oversized trade paperbacks, of laughing at the colorful kids books with brightly colored covers and funny titles. And don't even get me started on finding hidden treasures in the clearance section, gorgeous photo coffee table books or funny craft or skills books.

I can't believe that 52% of the people who took this poll experience that feeling only rarely. And don't even get me started on the bottom 18%--I'm just chalking that up to criminals and housebound sick people. Because really, I can't think of a reason those people wouldn't want to go to a bookstore, other than that they were busy serving time or physically unable to!



No comments: