Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Never a dull moment around our house

Edra came over to do laundry, and reminded me that the chaos of our house is always entertaining.

It started with the kittens from next door. (Still haven't trapped the little suckers--that Houdini is an elusive little kitty!) They were making a ruckus outside, so I opened the front door to check it out. I saw a repeat of the scene about a week ago at 1 in the morning--two kittens and a baby possum scurrying away.

That poor little possum. I don't know what the kittens are thinking. He's about their size but twice as solid, and I'm sure his teeth are much sharper. I know the kittens are curious, and maybe they think he's just a big rat or something, but they keep trapping and tormenting him, and sooner or later, they'll regret it.

Anyway, the door opening scared them all off. But the kittens didn't go far; they didn't want to give up their prey. I grabbed my giant Super Soaker squirt gun, and aimed toward the kittens. The possum ran by me, which freaked me out a little, but he ran toward the kitten's house, which freaked me out even more. I sent that little guy right into the lion's den!

I retrieved my giant blue Mag lite from inside. I scanned the deserted porch next door, searching for the possum. I couldn't see him anywhere, which was a good sign, since that meant he wasn't locked in any tiny kitten jaws. And it was at that exact moment that Edra walked outside and saw me on the front lawn--Super Soaker in one hand, Mag lite in the other, surveying the scene in the dark, in bare feet.

She took one look at me and asked, "What are you doing out here?" I explained about the kittens and the possum, but it sounded stupid, even to me. I realized it was pretty dark out there, I didn't have any shoes on, and there were fuzzy little animals running scared throughout the yard. I also thought that where there's a baby possum, there's probably a mama possum, and I didn't want to tangle with her.

"Guess my work here is done," I told Edra, and headed inside. As I walked back to the front door, a low-hanging palm frond grazed my head, and I jumped about 10 feet--I was still a little on edge. Edra just looked at me and shook her head.

No comments: