Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's my favorite day of the year

That's right, my favorite day because I get to vote--at the FIRE HOUSE! And you know how much I love firemen. :-)

The big day is finally here--our chance to change the world. And by change the world, I mean change T.V. and radio programming, which will finally stop airing all those stupid political commercials (I'm Heather Dinsdale, and I approve that message).

Just kidding. It is a very big election, and I'm excited not only at the prospect of change, but that a reported 80% of the population is voting today. I could dwell on how ridiculous it is that people in our country usually don't vote, but I'll focus instead on the fact that today, they're turning out in droves.

I'm taking Mark with me to vote. I want him to see democracy in action, that voting is not just a right, but a civic obligation people should fulfill (which sometimes leads to other civic obligations, like jury duty, which people try to not fulfill).

I want him to feel part of the process--he watched the Presidential debates, the conventions (both parties), the news programs discussing the election. He's listened to his grandparents endorse one candidate, while his aunts and uncles emphatically endorsed another.

I want him to realize that his voice does, indeed, count, and must be heard.

And of course, I want him to feel connected to the voting location--the fire house. Because if any cute fire men wander out front, I can use my civic-minded son to strike up a conversation, which will invariably lead to the fact that his mom is single, smart, and a lot of fun. And loves fire men.

After all, this election's all about HOPE, right?

No comments: