Tuesday, November 18, 2008

January Roadtrip

I am SOOOOOO excited I can barely stand it--seriously, I could break into cartwheels at any moment now. The Senator's office called yesterday, informing me that I'm the lucky recipient of Inauguration tickets. (Just writing that makes me giddy!)

In honor of full public disclosure: no, I do not have any high-ranking political connections; and no, I did nothing unsavory to acquire them. I simply gathered up a heap of optimism in early October and emailed the Senator asking for tickets. (I didn't mention either candidate--I figured I'd just decline them if the other guy won.) And, although I remained humbly optimistic, I also exercised my pragmatic side (yes, I do have one--it's in hibernation most of the year, but awakens occasionally). I emailed both Senators and my Congressman, begging for tickets, tours, whatever. I just want to be in D.C. when it all happens--tickets are icing on the Inaugural cake.

I immediately called my mom, who's going with us. She was equally stunned, and equally excited. She started whooping it up, which got me started all over again. Then I had to cut it short, so I could pick Mark up from school.

I was still on a high when I got him, and told him immediately.

"I have the best best best best BEST news ever!" I said, excitedly. This certainly piqued his interest.

"What?" he asked.

"I got tickets to the Inauguration--we're gonna watch Barack Obama sworn in as the President!" I let out a whoop of joy.

He was clearly underwhelmed. He simply shrugged his shoulders, scanned the ground, and asked, "Now, where's my backpack?"

I started to explain WHY this is so exciting, but he clearly didn't care. I realized I'd have gotten a better response if I said I bought an Inauguration game for his Gameboy.

I know he's excited to go to D.C. and I know he's excited about Obama, but he is only 8. I suppose I can't expect too much from him, politically.

But I wasn't ready to let go of my ticket high just yet. It was fun sharing the news with my mom over the phone, but I needed some in-person excitement. And so I pulled out the big guns.

"That's right, Mark," I said. "We'll be there live for the swearing-in ceremony. And did I mention you'll be out of school for a WHOLE WEEK? No homework for a WEEK!"

That did it--Mark erupted into his own celebration dance. "Ya-HOOO!" he shouted, pumping a fist into the air.

Cheap trick, I know. But I'll take it. I don't get many chances to be part of history, and I wasn't giving this one up with a mere shrug.

Chalk it up to scoring a point for the greater good...

2 comments:

Jfcfanatic said...

Paul and I are soooooo jealous!! We totally would have celebrated with you had we not been our honeymoon. CONGRATS!! Have a great time, take loads of pictures!!

Heather said...

Thanks, Devin!! I'm sure we'll have a blast, and we'll definitely take loads of pix.

Congrats on getting married! :-)