Monday, November 17, 2008

Safety first

I love our local crossing guard. She's always cheerful and outgoing--it's a nice way to start your day, talking to happy people.

Walking Mark to school this morning, I noticed a fine layer of ash blanketing the ground. Seems like there aren't as many ashes floating around in the air, and the sky seemed a little cleaner. Yesterday, we saw lots of people wearing surgical masks to protect themselves, and as we approached the crosswalk, I noticed the crossing guard wore one, too.

She had it pushed down on her neck, though, so she could greet people. We talked briefly about the fires, and how sad it was all those homes burned down.

But when I returned from school, her mask was gone.

"I had to take it off," she told me. "I couldn't blow my whistle with the mask on."

We both started laughing. It was just a funny visual image.

The air may not be safe today, but the crosswalk certainly is.

No comments: