Monday, January 26, 2009

He's definitely got an opinion

Mark is a funny little kid. He's very opinionated, and sometimes, like this morning, those opinions catch me off guard.

We were walking to school and he noticed my black shoes. He makes the same comment every time I wear these shoes.

"Those look like men's shoes," he told me matter-of-factly.

"You say that every time I wear them," I replied.

"Well, they do," he insisted.

I let it go. I hadn't had my coffee yet; it was too early to argue.

But he kept going.

"I said, they DO look like men's shoes."

I smiled. "I heard you," I said.

Silence for five or six steps.

"Are they men's shoes?" he asked. He is nothing if not persistent.

"No," I answered. "They are women's shoes. I know you think they're men's shoes; you are entitled to your opinion. I'm not going to change your mind, so think what you'd like about them."

We walked on, again in silence. I knew he was still thinking about it, so I let him. The only thing he hates more than being wrong is not being able to argue a point. He can't stand it when I end a conversation without letting him be right. (He'll make a fine husband to some lucky girl someday!)

"I think they are men's shoes. You probably bought them in the men's department," he said (he was with me when I bought them -- in the women's department!). And then his voice changed from questioning to authoritative. "They are men's shoes," he said. "Have fun at work wearing men's shoes." And then he skipped off to school on his own.

I swear, I don't know where that kid gets it. He's never sure what 6 x 4 is, but apparently, he is an expert on shoes. And once he makes up his mind, nobody is gonna change it!

No comments: